January 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 December 2011 at 2:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 331.9K views

Replies

• kit77kit77 Forumite
    197 Posts
    Did some shopping yesterday so adding my spends to keep me on track.

Waitrose £16.44 - got pork sausages reduced to £.049 so I two packs and DH and DS had some last night so the rest are in the freezer.

Marks and Spencer £28.08.

Asda £18.94

Total £63.46

Only got to last till next Friday when i get paid but this lot today should see up past this so hopefully will have money left to put away:)

Have just been checking through my receipts and I have found a tesco receipt from May 2010 going to have a check to see how much prices have gone up.
    Feb 2012 Grocery Challenge £200/£4.00

Save 12K in 12 months - £12K/£250
  • SueP19SueP19 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭
    wear280902 - hiya I'm new too and welcome :j

jo83 - I would be gutted if I had lost a tenner so hugs :grouphug:

carolinerunner - I started the 2nd purse last week and I am seeing the benefits already :D

XSpender - glad your little boy is ok, had a couple of them A&E calls myself :grouphug:

PennyGrabber - way to go on the NSD day, mental illness is not funny (post natal depression 20 years ago but still haunts me) :j:j

Well armed with my list I hit the supers, spent a total of £54.99 but have everything for the week except some headache tabs

B**ts £6.33 included E!vive shampers and [email protected] shower gel, it appears that the discount voucher from the advantage machine gives you 25% off the full price so they were 94p for shampers and 70p for shower gel :eek:

Mr S's £13.64

A!di £3.91

and finally Mr M's.....for those who mentioned using condensed soup in pies Mr M's has [email protected] on offer 3 for £1.00 saving £1.34. Also by accident I used 2 Mr S's coupon for [email protected] wash up liq they scanned them no probs so 2 x 650ml for 50p:D:D

I think I am a bit off target this month but as it's a 5 week month am not too bothered, have updated my siggy :)
    Mort Oct 15 [STRIKE]£70,353[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66,422[/STRIKE] £58,804 MF [STRIKE]Dec 31[/STRIKE] Jun 31([STRIKE]191[/STRIKE] 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 £700/£1,000 Debt [STRIKE]May 09 £30,217[/STRIKE][STRIKE]Oct 17 £14,093[/STRIKE]Nov 18 £6,336.12[/B]
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    kit77 wrote: »
    Have just been checking through my receipts and I have found a tesco receipt from May 2010 going to have a check to see how much prices have gone up.

I did something similar with a fuel receipt - Diesel was 117.9 per litre the week of the election (May '10) and is now 139.9 best price where I live. We use 50L a week just commuting so 22px50L/week=£11 increase in less than 2 years; just on commuting :eek::eek:

Then we all had a small increase in NI contributions in April 11 and I had no pay increase last year or this year. I didn't keep an electronic record of fuel tariffs for electricity but we got stung by oil prices last winter because our boiler went wrong and consumed all the oil we bought in the summer (when it is cheaper) in the run-up to Christmas and we had to buy oil at the top price or run out over Christmas and NY - because of the snow none of the suppliers would guarantee delivery so DH ordered from 2. One delivered on 24th and the other on 26th - brilliant except it was £1000 :eek::eek::eek:

Scary stuff.

Save £12k in 2021 - #26 aiming for £7,500 - £6,395.34 85.27% after August
    OS Grocery Challenge 2021 target £1,824.29/£3k 60.81% annual after Aug (not incl £500 contingency)
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • edited 14 January 2012 at 10:52AM
    rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 January 2012 at 10:52AM
    linz4383 wrote: »
    jus a quick question can you freeze creme fraiche there was some for 11p and i want some for a recipe but dnt need it jus yet :s ...

according to this thread yes, you can :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • I have just had a cheeky lie in bed, catching up on the thread! Normally I come away thinking how I will stay away from SMs and have NSDs! However yesterday's posts have made me feel like I should have a whiz around the SMs for the bargains people have listed! One of the things I thought I would check out is the toilet roll in L*dl. Does anyone know what the reduced meat in Lidl is this week?
    Thank you :)
    2017 GC O-£93.46/£160; S-£136.26/£160; A-£130.55/£160; J-£47.12/£160;
    J-£106.63/£190; M-£70.29/£160; A-£197.88/£180; M-£219.35/£180; F-£294.14/£160; J-£168.67/£160

2016 GC £2322.39/£2285;
    GC-2012-2015 - £9789.91/£7773!
    for 2 adults & 2 kids (13 & 11) for all food,toiletries,cleaners etc

• majjakmajjak Forumite
    380 Posts
    Morning everyone

I have to do a small shop today, fruit and veg, packed lunch bits and milk. I've got a list and I'm sticking to it ! I've got to be careful not to go stocking up too much as I've managed to free off a bit of extra cash this month .....

Eon had increased my DD by 50% up to £144 ! :eek: Now, bearing in mind I was £148 in credit on my bill last month (which I got them to promptly put back into my account :p) I can't see how they can justify that ! So, I'm at the end of my plan and I've reverted back to quarterly bills - I know I won't get the duel fuel discount which is 6% but I'm kind of banking on them following suit with the other suppliers and reducing bills by approx 5% so I won't be much more worse off. I think that makes sense ! :think: :rotfl: They have already had £144 to put towards my next bill so I'm estimating I need to put away another £200 before the end of March (3 paydays) which is a lot less than the £432 I'd have put into their little bank account ;)

Now I have £144 extra to play with this month - the temptation to stock up is all too much ! :rotfl:

HUGE hugs for xspender and penny xxxx

Right I'd better go get dressed :o, DS at goalie training in an hour and I need to go shopping :D
    Save £12K challenge 2015 # 173
    £0.00/£10,000
  • gailey_2gailey_2 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Hi guys

can you put me down for £170 for jan to include food, household and toilitries.

Our month started yesterday as that was payday.

did reduced run yesterday at 3different places.
    need to find receipts and update later.
    also off to lidls, sainsburys and tesco express today so best i update later.

wil be doing sunday reduced run
    monday night do morrisions and co-op

tuesday -asda for baby event.

check out aldi super six next week.

need to do farmfoods at some point.

shopping around and reduced only way can keep to such low amount as normally spend £300+a week.

did challange few times last year and struggled.

2012 must be year I get a grip as everythings rising!
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • Linz4383Linz4383 Forumite
    318 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭
    if anyones interested i have been sent a £10 off a £50 shop from ssainburys.. i think it can be used by lots off people as there was more than one leaflet in my package and its valid until 15th february pm me if interested :D hope this helps someone out :D
  • mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xspender hugs for your brave little boy

been morrys this morning so updated sig but will need to re-update again once ive got the fruit and veg
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • majjak wrote: »
    Eon had increased my DD by 50% up to £144 ! :eek: Now, bearing in mind I was £148 in credit on my bill last month (which I got them to promptly put back into my account :p) I can't see how they can justify that ! So, I'm at the end of my plan and I've reverted back to quarterly bills - I know I won't get the duel fuel discount which is 6% but I'm kind of banking on them following suit with the other suppliers and reducing bills by approx 5% so I won't be much more worse off. I think that makes sense ! :think:

You can complain against the price increase if you can show your account is in credit / will balance by the end of your consumption year.

I left SP as they were continually doing this - I moved to them in a November so didn't have the summer months to build a "buffer" - however, as I'd used actualy consumption figures & it would balance out they always put it back to the original figure .... I just got sick of having to do it every 3 months.

However, despite explaining this to my new supplier and being assured they wouldn't do this - they have just tried to put my dd up by 82%:eek: - although with the comforting words "it's only for 3 months":mad: Several emails & phone calls and they have now reinstated it to the original figure as a similar situation to the SP one.

It drives me demented and makes me very angry - apart from the discount one of the reasons many people choose to pay by dd is to have roughly the same going out their account every month throughout the year - these automated reviews seem to take absolutely no account of the annual consumtion (even though this is what is used when you sign up). It also really penalises people who move during late summer/winter - if I'd have changed supplier in say March instead, there wouldn't be an issue.

I did get told along the lines of "but we pay interest on credit balances" mmmmmm well, what good is that piddling amount going to do if you've tried to take an extra £50+ from my account, it's not there or other things have failed because you've taken it, bank charges are added etc :mad:

Sorry ...... will climb down off my box - just one of those things that drives me insane - the stress of having to go through it every 3 months is really something I could do without!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides