🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Ordered one, had two delivered...

Options
Hi all, hope you can help advise.

I recently ordered a large item of furniture from an online company. However, for some reason, the delivery company they contracted the job to delivered 2 identical items (it was on their form as that amount). Each item was worth about £800, yet they only charged us for the one item.

They called a couple of days later to finalise payment and I told them all about the mix up, they didn't know anything about the extra item and said they would call back the next day with details of how they intend to arrange pick up. They never did. That was about a month ago.

I now have a large box in my garage taking up room and various friends & relatives saying they'd like to have the furniture themselves. The second item is no use to us.

Where do I stand, are they likely to come for it in the end, or shall I pass it to someone else or even sell it on ebay??

Is there a set amount of time I can wait before it becomes mine officially?

I welcome your thoughts.

Comments

• texranger
    texranger Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    Options
    send them a polite letter (recorded) and keep a copy giving them 7 days to arrange collection stating if they do not collect within the 7 days then you accept the item as a gift
  • emalf
    Options
    Could I charge them storage costs if they want it back, it's taking up a lot of room?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 December 2011 at 7:01PM
    Options
    emalf wrote: »
    Could I charge them storage costs if they want it back, it's taking up a lot of room?
    Yes you could do that if you want, but you must give them advanced warning.

In the letter suggested earlier, include a sentence stating that if the goods are not collected by such and such date then storage will be charged at £xx.xx per day.

Of course that may not have the desired effect.
    Warning about storage charges may encourage them to collect the thing sooner.
    I got the impression that you would like them to forget about it so that you could pass it on to friends.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Procedure for obtaining the right to sell uncollected or abandoned goods
    If you want to sell the goods you must take reasonable steps to trace the original owner if they, or their whereabouts, is unknown. This depends on the circumstances, but might include placing advertisements in local newspapers, notices on local community notice boards or contacting a trade association if the owner has a business.
    If you have taken reasonable steps to trace the owner, but have not been successful, you can sell the goods. It is worth keeping a note of what you did to trace the owner.
    If you trace the original owner, you must send two written notices to the owner before you sell the goods.

You must give the owner of the goods, a first written notice personally or by post stating:
    -that the owner is responsible for collecting the goods
    -the details of the goods and where they are
    -your name and address
    -how much money is owed, if any, for the goods when the notice is sent, for example, the cost of the repair or reasonable storage charges.

You must send the owner of the goods, by recorded delivery or
    registered post, a second written notice stating:
    -you intend to sell the goods if they are not collected by a date given in the notice
    -the details of the goods and where they are
    -your name and address
    -how much money is owed, if any, for the goods, when the notice is sent.
    If the owner of the goods owes you money, the period between the second notice and the sale of the goods must be at least three months.

What happens if the owner does not collect the goods
    If the owner does not collect the goods by the date given in the notice, and you are sure that the goods belong to the person who has been sent the notices, then you may:
    -keep the goods
    -sell the goods
    -get rid of the goods.
    If the goods are sold they will then legally belong to the person who has bought them.

What happens to the money from the sale
    If you are the person selling the goods, you must be able to show the original owner that the sale was handled properly to get a fair price for the goods. Apart from the expenses of selling the goods, for example, storage charges or auction fees, the original owner must be given the money from the sale if their address is known. If the goods had been left for repair and were then not collected, the cost of the repair work can also be deducted. If not, the money must be kept for the original owner. However, after six years the owner cannot claim, or sue, for the money.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport