New power of attorney guide

Options

Comments

• pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You cannot add this wording to a Health and Welfare LPA.

What you are asking generally comes within the scope of an Property and Finance LPA. No additional wording is needed in order to act for the donor in maintaining their own property.
  • OwlsBarbara
    Options
    Once you have registered your LPA and you have received it back from the OPG, what do you do then, do you have to copy and send to all your various financial institutions or just keep somewhere safe till needed
    Thanks, and info would be appreciated
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Once you have registered your LPA and you have received it back from the OPG, what do you do then, do you have to copy and send to all your various financial institutions or just keep somewhere safe till needed
    Thanks, and info would be appreciated

Just keep it safe until need. I would recomend making some certified copies in case anything happens to the original. These can becirtified by a solicitor or by the donor themselves.

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/certify
  • Mav6215
    Mav6215 Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    I scanned and printed 5 copies of each of the two PoA and got my mother to certify each copy as soon as they were returned and she still had capacity. Was time-consuming but didn't add any cost other than paper and ink.

Never had any issue taking the copies into institutions or posting them off and have always had them returned promptly.

Some places have been happy to accept the scanned copies as pdf files via email. When doing this I have zipped and password-protected the files sending the password as a separate email.
  • shaunandelly
    Options
    I am in the process of obtaining an lpa for my 79 yo mother. Plus thinking of relocating to Southern Ireland with her. She is is Irish and most of the family are there. Finances and assets both sides of the water. Is it one here and repeat over there?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 February 2017 at 12:57PM
    Options
    I am in the process of obtaining an lpa for my 79 yo mother. Plus thinking of relocating to Southern Ireland with her. She is is Irish and most of the family are there. Finances and assets both sides of the water. Is it one here and repeat over there?

Yes you will need to set up a seperate one in the Republic of Ireland, as the UK one cannot be used for assets held in Ireland and visa versa. I believe Ireland still use enduring powers of attorney rather than LPAs.
  • crazymom999
    Options
    Hi, I used the Which Wills offer for £119, so i paid the money- filled the forms in - sent of to be registered, and now find out i need to pay £220 to register them.
    Anyone any idea what I paid Which Wills £119 for? I was under the impression that my £119 was a special deal for MSE users and was the complete cost. Thanks
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, I used the Which Wills offer for £119, so i paid the money- filled the forms in - sent of to be registered, and now find out i need to pay £220 to register them.

Register them where?

We've just had two mirror wills done with our solicitor for less than £339!
  • crazymom999
    Options
    I'm told it has to be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG), If its not registered with them, then it is not valid and cannot be used.
    These are the people Which told me to send them to. The OPG rang me today saying £225 to register the documents.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, I used the Which Wills offer for £119
    I'm told it has to be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG), If its not registered with them, then it is not valid and cannot be used.

These are the people Which told me to send them to. The OPG rang me today saying £225 to register the documents.

Sorry, I thought you'd made wills (must read posts more carefully!)

Do you want them to be active straight away? We made them under the old system and they don't have to be registered until we want to use them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback