🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Received Item From Insurer But Need to Claim Refund

Options
Bit of a peculiar problem this one. My Sony Laptop was a replacement from an insurance company after a burglary in 2008.

The laptop has failed and I have discovered that the laptop has the "Nvidia defect" which is a well know fault. Due to this defect the sale of goods act makes it unnecessary to be within warranty as long as the fault is reported within 6 years and it can be proved that the appliance is inherently defective. Done a lot of reading about this online and I know my laptop has failed because of the defect and a number of people have been successful in seeking refunds.

So now I am confused about who my retailer is. Should I get in touch with my insurer? Do I have a contract with them in the way I would with a retailer?

Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• texranger
    texranger Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    Options
    did the insurance company provide you the laptop or were you sent a cheque and then you purchased the laptop.

if the insurance company provided this to you then it is them you need to contact, if you purchased this then it is the retailer you need to contact
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport