🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Advice Needed

Options
Hi All,

I bought a very expensive aquarium filter late last year and in the last few weeks I have experienced issues with low flow. I have been in touch with the manufacturer and have followed all of their advice and have replaced all of the seals and gaskets they have sent me but the problem still persists.

I asked if they would send me a replacement under warranty (2 years) but this has been refused and have been told to return the filter to them or the retailer so it can be inspected and repaired or replaced. The problem with doing this is I currently do not have a spare filter as they are all in use on other tanks. I have a collection of carefully selected wild caught Malawi cichlids That require the very best water quality so removing the filter for any period of time is not an option.
The response I had from the retailer was that I should buy another filter and if the manufacturer finds a fault they will refund me but at £350 it isn't really an option for me.

Am I being unreasonable in asking for a replacement to be sent out before I return the filter given that the technical advice I have had has not resolved the problem and the fact my livestock depends on a filter?
Can anyone advise where I stand on the SOGA?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Comments

• adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I would think it would be up to the manufacture to insist they look at it before they replace it, perhaps you could get a cheap filter off ebay to keep you going untill it is repaired or replaced?
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks,

But a cheap eBay filter will not be good enough for the amount of fish I have and their water requirements. I would normally have a spare but all my tanks are fully stocked at present.
    Not long ago I had a heater that was constantly stuck on,I took it back to the shop and it was replaced without any bother, I don't see why the same rules cannot apply here especially given the circumstances and a top of the range filter should not fail after 12 months IMO.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you buy direct from the manufacturer?

If not, have you spoken to whoever sold the thing to you?

Manufacturer's warranties are often useful, but they are in addition to your statutory rights, and as such the manufacturer can impose any restrictions he likes... such as " I will not supply a new one until you have returned the old one".

Under Sale of Goods Act, if the problem can be proved inherent, and it sounds like it might be, then the retailer has to provide a remedy without causing significant inconvenience. That remedy could be a repair, replacement or refund, and any refund could be a partial refund to take account of the use you have had to date.

Are you a consumer or a business?
    It may be significant.
  • Jimx26
    Options
    Thanks,

I am a consumer, I have also been in contact with the retailer and their advice so far is that I must send it back to them( I purchased online) and they will forward to the manufacturer for investigation before they decide whether to repair or replace.
    I am convinced there is a fult after following all of the manufacturers advice and still no further along. This particular filter also has n LCD screen and I noticed yesterday there is also water behind that to add to the low flow issue.
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Options
    it sounds as though the filter isn't powerful enough for your tank and has got full of crap. When was the filter media last replaced?
  • Jimx26
    Options
    it sounds as though the filter isn't powerful enough for your tank and has got full of crap. When was the filter media last replaced?

Hi,

The filter is rated at 1000lph including filter media for tanks upto 600 litres so is plenty big enough for my tank (260l).
    The media cartridges are cleaned weekly and the rest of the unit is cleaned every 3 months. As I explained above I have also changed all the seals and cleaned all the valves as instructed by the manufacturer.
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    I was pretty sure you'd have had that covered, with your choice of fish and 'other tanks' as you didn't sound like a newbie who'd bought a tank and thrown some fish in.
    I just wanted to throw it in there in as it's easy to overlook the obvious sometimes.
  • Jimx26
    Options
    Thanks,and you are right sometimes the obvious things are the cause but on this occasion I have tried everything.
    I am starting to see higher levels of nitrate than normal and I assume in part due to the filter only performing to 25% so it looks as though I am going to have to buy an new filter for the sake of my livestock, but this of course will render the current filter surpless to requirements.
    I'm going to send another email to the retailer as I do not want to end up with a very expensive filter I will not need.
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    Could you buy a cheaper filter to see you through till you've had chance to send it back for evaluation / repair / replacement?
  • Jimx26
    Options
    I've looked at that but I really need something with a high turnover due to the amount of fish as with Mbuna you have to overstock to combat aggresion and over filtering is the only option.
    I certainly wont be buying the same filter as I have now,but I can get something for around £150 with similar flow rates but it would render the current filter redundant as it wouldn't be needed. I wouldnt normally have spent so much but I sold a load of stuff on ebay and was blinkered by the marketing of this so called technologically advanced filter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport