Who to complain to about our postman?

Options
We live with a gate onto the road at the front to our front door, and our back door goes onto a cul-de-sac.

Over the last few months we've had the postman carry out the knock and run (knocks and leaves before you've even had a chance to make it too the stairs!) and he's left parcels at the front AND back doors and today, to top it all off, he left a parcel at the front gate on the curbside (the gate gets stuck a bit in winter, need to give it a small shove to open it).

What makes it worse is that there is a post office branch within 2 mins walk. At no time has he left a note saying "parcel left at post office".

So where do we make a complaint about the guy who does our round? its annoying getting soggy boxes (luckily nothing damaged yet!)

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How about Royal Mail?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • djl
    djl Posts: 11,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We live with a gate onto the road at the front to our front door, and our back door goes onto a cul-de-sac.

Over the last few months we've had the postman carry out the knock and run (knocks and leaves before you've even had a chance to make it too the stairs!) and he's left parcels at the front AND back doors and today, to top it all off, he left a parcel at the front gate on the curbside (the gate gets stuck a bit in winter, need to give it a small shove to open it).

What makes it worse is that there is a post office branch within 2 mins walk. At no time has he left a note saying "parcel left at post office".

So where do we make a complaint about the guy who does our round? its annoying getting soggy boxes (luckily nothing damaged yet!)

I had problems a few years ago if you ring customer services they should help

hth
    2015 wins £4.00 not mse:(
    2014 £44.00:mad:2013 £83.00 2012 £601.50
    2011 £1554.50 2010 £698.00 2009 £2793.00
    2008 £2816.00 2007 £1034.00
  • TrickyDicky
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    How about Royal Mail?

I realise that. I meant should I go for the national line or should I ring the local sorting office?
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I realise that. I meant should I go for the national line or should I ring the local sorting office?
    It wasn't supposed to be unhelpful, I hyperlinked customer services after all.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Over the last few months we've had the postman carry out the knock and run (knocks and leaves before you've even had a chance to make it too the stairs!) and he's left parcels at the front AND back doors and today, to top it all off, he left a parcel at the front gate on the curbside (the gate gets stuck a bit in winter, need to give it a small shove to open it).fix it?

a post office branch has nothing to do with deliveries unless you live in those areas that use post offices as collection points.
    I would contact the delivery office in the first instance
  • Auntie-Dolly
    Auntie-Dolly Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Options
    Why don't you have a word with the postie? Perhaps you can agree on a sensible place to leave parcels so he doesn't have to wait. and fix the gate.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had a similar situation a while ago and at the time had a friend who was a postie at the local delivery office. I asked his advice about it and he said unfortunately they were (are!) in crisis and that its a side affect of too much workload and not enough staff. It was also compounded by the fact that we didn't have a regular postie and our round was split between others who were already overstretched by their own rounds. He said to contact the DO but to expect it to be one of hundreds of other complaints received that day. He said all that would happen is that a note would go up to remind posties of the correct procedure(s).

I just left it in the end as although it was annoying, it wasn't really the posties fault. We seem to have a regular guy again now and it has improved.
  • NeverEnough
    Options
    We've had on and off problems over the years with the Knock and Run type postman - at one stage it happened absolutely continuously for about 8 months or so - you get absolutely nowhere with lodging an official complaint with Royal Mail (althouigh they do acknowledge it) . It eventually gets passed to the local delivery office - you can't find their phone numbers anywhere any longer, just a central 08-something number - and ranks will close and all allegations of "knock and run" will be denied. I then pointed out our cctv cameras recording over the doorway / postbox, showing the postman doing the "knock and run" move and was met with sullen silence for a few weeks......eventually the delivery office manager responded saying there was a "misunderstanding" and "discussions" had taken place with the postman. So "knock and run" stopped for a while, only to resurface during reshuffles etc..........its always going to be an issue, I think. Loads of people at the sorting office queues who had cards left say the same thing is happening to them. Not just RM either, lots of couriers do it too. Quite a few courier offices have been stunned into silence when confronted with the CCTV footage which they didn't click existed on a domestic property.........and it has reduced the occurence of "knock and run" !!
  • shjo558
    shjo558 Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A few years ago my postman didn't even knock - he just posted the red card through and scuttled off.

So, one morning, knowing I had a parcel coming, I got up early (yes we get an early delivery here) and I hid behind the door.

I heard him walking down the path and the red card was posted through the letterbox.

I flung the door open and said - oh thanks, I'll take the parcel now and Mr Postie who was getting a bit red faced said, oh it's in the van which is parked in the next street.

He knew that I had sussed him out and he went off like Kevin the teenager when I said 'off you go then, I'll wait at the door'.

I've never had that problem again so maybe you need to lie in wait and catch him on the doorstep!
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LOL! Covert postie ambush ops will be taking place all round the country tomorrow :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure