Netgear - Poor quality products even worse technical support !

Options
I've helped numerous friends with their networks etc, and hence end up configuring and using various brands of Wi-fi and comms related kit. But I have to say (my moan) is about Netgear - not only do I see a higher proportion of failures with their products (compared to the likes of Linksys and Belkin etc), but their on-line technical support is appaling !!

Netgears own target of responding to queries/logged tickets the next business day is not only untrue (most take 3+ days), I currently have a ticket thats not even been looked at in 10 !! Even then with many issues technical staff don't even read the description of the fault and try to close it off !!

Anyway - my advice would be, think twice before you but Netgear !!

(sorry - moan over !!)

Comments

• maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    How much are you paying for Netgear for this technical support?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • rjm2k1
    rjm2k1 Posts: 650 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I found similar when I queried the support for dyndns built into my router, they didn't read the question, just echoed that it supported dyndns. My question was is there any way to make it force an update every so often to prevent the dns name expiring, it seems there wasn't but it went over their heads completely.
  • star1_2
    star1_2 Posts: 424 Forumite
    Options
    How much are you paying for Netgear for this technical support?

I'd had both poor experiences of both the paid (called pro-support, when it's been paid for on behalf of clients I'm working for) and the standard support. The Netgear website states, that enquiries will attempted to be answered the next working day (which has never happened for me!). No other manufacturer I've had contact with is as poor as Netgear!

I work in IT/comms and have an extensive knowledge with comms kit (setting up WAN's and LAN's for 1000's of users on multiple campus locations etc), when I contact Netgear (paid support or not) - it's because there's a genuine problem which warrents a genuine "return", which in everycase they eventually conceed to! but it's like pulling teath dealing with their support ! They seam to think their products are fault-free, which sadly they are definatly not !! and actually (in my experience) fail more than their competitors !
  • star1_2
    Options
    I have an open ticket with Netgear - they are driving me mad !!

All they can do is type the word "duplicate ticket" (which it is not) !! - in a ticket received a min ago !!

Anyone looking to purchase networking hardware, do yourselves a favour - don't touch Netgear, the products are shoddy, and the technical support is rubbish !! (you have been warned) !!

:rolleyes: :mad:
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    Options
    Never had anything but praise for Netgear routers, use them both personally and commercially (of which we have hundreds if not thousands) and the failure rate is tiny in comparison to other brands.

Had absolutely no problems with Netgears tech support on the one problem I had with my first personal router from them and it was answered quickly and very well.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • gaming_guy
    gaming_guy Posts: 6,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i have not had any problems with my netgear router...... yet!

and i find their products reliable as well
  • star1_2
    Options
    I've either been very unlucky with Netgear, or everyone has been lucky (who's not had problems) !!

I've deployed entire Cisco networks with 1000's of campus connections both in the UK and overseas (India - yes call centres), and europe, minimal failaures - then the odd Netgear product for a small regional office, or a VIP user at home and then all chaos let loose !! - more time wasted with netgear products / support than the Cisco kit !! :rolleyes:
  • star1_2
    Options
    The saga continues. Further logged tickets, a telephone call in which I was promised a call with the RMA details would be made, and more tickets, - but of course no RMA !! .... Has prompted me to send Netgear UK a page letter by post and email, complaining and asking if they can help!!

lets see what happens ....

All I can say - if you're considering purchasing network equipment .... avoid Netgear if this is typical of how they deal with their faulty products !!

:eek: :confused:
  • kuohu
    kuohu Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like you're having a rough time with them. But the obvious question - if you have so much trouble with Netgear then why do you continue to use them?

(I'm a Linksys customer btw :) )
    DFW Nerd 035
  • star1_2
    Options
    The Netgear product I purchased was the WGX102, its the one I'm having the current issues with (for use at home) - its a power plug with built in wireless, hence (in theory) when you plug the remote unit in you extend your wireless lan. Linksys and the other companies don't make a product like it !

The other Netgear issues, have been with products that VIP's have purchased and then have gone wrong.

I have to agree, I've given up on them (netgear) for Routers due to relyability, and always prefer to use Linksys too !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure