TV Licensing taken 4 payments from my account - now overdrawn.

Options
Last night i payed for a TV license online - £145.50.

They have taken the payment out of my account 4 times which has left me overdrawn. I didnt find out until i went shopping today and tried to get some money out (i was 50 miles from home might i add!). You guessed it too-id only taken this one debit card with me. I also had to blag some petrol and leave my driving license at the garage because i had no method of payment.

I found out by ringing my bank who didnt offer me any funds in which to allow me to carry on my day. (Asked for an emergency overdraft).

Anyway the bank say that the TV licensing have claimed the money four times (only one of the 3 'illegal' claims has been refunded, but i still cant get this because it takes 24 hours to come back to my account). I have also incurred bank charges for being overdrawn.

I havent spoke to TV Licensing yet as they were shut by the time i got home at 6-30pm. I will ring them in the morning.

I was hoping someone could give me some advice/tips on how i should be getting at them. Obviously they have to refund my money and the bank charges but i also want my phone calls refunding. Also i wasted 100 miles worth of petrol and had no money at the other end-do i have a case for getting this back? I also think some compensation would be in order because im going to have to take time from work tomorrow to ring them up.

Any help appreciatted.

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's really quite simple.
    Write down all the extra expenses incurred because they took the money four times and write them a letter detailing it.

Of course they will deny any wrong doing, maybe by suggesting that you paid four times.
    You will nead to gather all the evidence you can to justify your claim.
    Keep receipts, emails, logs of phone calls, etc.

Oh dear, you mentioned compensation.
    If you need take time of work, then convert that to a monitary value and claim for that too.
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    Options
    They can't really claim the OP claimed 4 times, as you shouldn't be buying 4 TV licences for the same property!

As above, keep a detailed list, backed up with receipts. But,, it's obviously a mistake on their part but you can only expect to be put back into the position you were before the error, so by all means claim expenses for their error, but don't expect 'compensation'.
  • Mista_C
    Mista_C Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pretty much what has been said above but if they want too see your evidence make sure you send them copies of and not the originals.
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    And send all your correspondence a) in writing and b) special delivery so you have proof that they got it ;)
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    so by all means claim expenses for their error, but don't expect 'compensation'.

But that's exactly what compensation is.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    But that's exactly what compensation is.

yes, but op isn't referring to 'compensation' asin out of pocket expenses, op is referring to compensation seperately to the out of pockets so it's safe to assume in this case it's referring to a goodwill gesture to the inconvenience/hassle caused rather than compensating for the incurred expenses.
  • CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    Options
    They might and could claim you hit submit 4 times if there are 4 uniquely generated submitted forms.

Doubtful because that would be extremely bad website coding on their end, but it does happen.
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    Options
    They might and could claim you hit submit 4 times if there are 4 uniquely generated submitted forms.

Doubtful because that would be extremely bad website coding on their end, but it does happen.

Maybe but their system shouldn't have accepted and processed 4 sales as you can only have 1 licence per property.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    Detail all your losses and invoice them on a 7 day retainer with legal action been filed on day 8 at the county court.
    They dont mess about when they have a case, nor should you.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    Options
    Can't op report the transactions as unauthorised? AFAIK if charges are incurred in such a way they are also reversed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure