MSE News: BT prices to rise this Saturday

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"As well as line rental, some call costs and TV and broadband package prices will also rise in price on 3 December ..."
Read the full story:

BT prices to rise this Saturday

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• BargainMad_3
    Options
    Well here goes with the first post.

I have just had my evening and weekend calls at no extra charge renewed for another 12 months on a rolling contract (to November 2013).

I thought these had been banned but it turns out they are banned in a few weeks time i.e. from January 2012.

I am now losing my paper free discount, seeing my line rental go up and am now locked in for another 12 months on a scheme that has been outlawed but not soon enough.

So how can I switch without incurring the penalty :(
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They also scrapping discount for paperless billing BT seem to be very greedy this year 2nd rise just like energy suppliers
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    QUOTE=MSE Helen;discussion/3645605]This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"As well as line rental, some call costs and TV and broadband package prices will also rise in price on 3 December ..."
    Read the full story:

BT prices to rise this Saturday

OfficialStamp.gif
    [/QUOTE]

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I feel like I have been mugged by Bt then they felt sorry for me!!

:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T

I was paying £13.90 and £4.70 - £1.25 = £17.35 !

:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
    increasing to

£14.60 and £4.90 = £19.50 (+ £2.15)

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    BUT

I've agreed to a 12 month term to pay now £16.50 (85p up)

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
  • Yut_Man
    Yut_Man Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    I got out of the BT money cow last year after being tied in with there hidden 12 month renewal clause. Best move I ever did. My new provider is as good as BT ever was (Primus), even when I had problems with my line. Im £8 a month better off. Usual story, place the word BRITISH in the name and get ripped off.
  • BargainMad_3
    Options
    How did you do that I LUV CATS ?

Who did you speak to ?

I am still mad that I am locked in with my evening calling plan literally a few days before the increase.
  • Blackjack_Davy
    Options
    Yeah I got this email from BT last night as well. I'm truly sick and tired of BT's price hikes, the scrapping of the paperless discount was the last straw for me.

So I phoned Sky (I've had Sky BB and Sky Talk (for the discount) for years) so decided to switch to Sky for the line rental too as it's only £12.25 pcm (£9.95 if you pay 12 months upfront) and they offered me FREE BB and line rental for a YEAR!

One very happy bunny here. :j
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the Internet.
  • BargainMad_3
    BargainMad_3 Posts: 772 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2011 at 9:07PM
    Options
    Great deal BlackJack !

The more I think about the automatic renewal process, the more annoyed I am....

With BT for pretending it is for your convenience (yeah right).

With OFTEL for actually outlawing it but giving BT months before it has to do it. If something is identified as wrong then it should be stopped straight away i.e. all auto contracts should be stopped at the time they come up for renewal. It's that kind of toothless practice that lets big companies get away with practices longer than they should. They must be locking tens of thousands in during these last few months of 2011.

But most of all I am annoyed with myself for not being aware what was going to happen with the auto renewal of the calls package, the disbanding of paper free billing and the further increase in line rental and call costs.
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BargainMad wrote: »
    How did you do that I LUV CATS ?

Who did you speak to ?

I am still mad that I am locked in with my evening calling plan literally a few days before the increase.

good day BargainMad

Initially I spoke to somebody in Billing Dept who said the only option was Line Saver. (12 month upfront) I said I am leaving as too dear and got put through to customer options who offered the £3 off deal for a 12 mth contract.

So am 85p up in the end!!!
  • SquareMeal
    Options
    BargainMad wrote: »
    So how can I switch without incurring the penalty :(

Hi BargainMad - if I understand correctly, you are on a monthly rolling contract, which is the contract BT quietly put you on when your previous fixed length contract expires. If so, you should be able to immediately move onto a better fixed length contract with BT or another supplier. Your BT contract lasts only to the end of the month, by definition. Sorry if I got your situation wrong.

In April 2011 I called BT to see when my contract ended, initially hoping to get a free home hub 3. Called 0800 800 15 then 1->3->4->2. The 4 is the option for "stopping your service", ie. leaving BT. The bloke said I was not on a fixed term contract it was just month to month "rolling". This is what BT do after customer's come to the end of their fixed term contracts. They guy offered to drop my charges from £18.40 per month (£15.40 line rental + £3.00 for the free evening/weekend calls package) to £10.00, still including evening & weekend calls, ie no drop in service. To get that, I had to sign up for a 12 month contract. Did so.

Regarding this "line rental saver", it sounds like an easy way for us BT chumps to save £13.80 per quarter. (£14.60*3 - 120/4). And no brainer as you can move to it mid contract. I wonder how much they give you back if, having paid the £120, you decide to switch suppliers.

By keeping a close eye on my relationship with BT I have managed to get competitive prices out of them. I would advise others to call them and badger.

They are slippery though. I particularly like the way every bill follows a completely different so you can't compare with the previous quarter. Arthur Daley would have been proud of that one.:D
  • Makeandsave
    Options
    Talktalk will follow like lost sheep. I am with Aol (part of TT) they tend to follow but i always ring up and complain and they offer me a discount.
    Jan Wins: .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport