Upgrading advice pls

Options
Hi

I’m due for an upgrade next weds with 02 (been with them for almost 5 years now).

I’m going to haggle and ask for a good deal and see if they can beat a deal with another network.

My question is:

1) There is an option to get through to upgrades or the leaving department. Is the leaving department also known as rentions? If so, which department do you advise I go first?
2) If they can’t offer me a good deal, will they cancel my contract and then I won’t be able call back again the next day and try again with another customer service representative?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check out the 02 retentions thread to see what others are getting.

When dealing with Orange I usually just phone up and ask what they can offer as a new deal. If you dont get any joy then I generally leave it and phone back a couple of days later but if you dont get what you want that time ask for a PAC code - porting authorisation code which you use to transfer your mobile number to a different network. This should help by showing you are apparently serious about leaving and will generally get you speaking to retentions.

If you still dont get put trhough to retentions you can either directly ask to get put through to them or wait to see if they phone you. Your PAC code is valid for 30 days but if you dont use it nothing happens so no harm in requesting it.

Your phone wouldn't get cut off at the end of your contract - but you will probably lose any discounts or extras that were added to your account if you have any.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Your contract only ends when YOU end it. Retention deals are seldom as good as those offered to new customers, so there will always be a disadvantage in place, that, and the restarting of an 18 or 24 month binding commitment.
  • latecomer
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    Retention deals are seldom as good as those offered to new customers,

In my experience retention deals are always better - and the various retentions threads back that up. If you dont get a better deal then you must be doing something wrong.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    It Depends when you call. The number of good deals are capped and set at variable target levels, and if you miss them you'll never know what you could have got. However, the best bargain is to buy the handset yourself as this way you avoid anything more than a 30 day lock-in and credit file difficulties should circumstances change.
  • nrishiraj
    Options
    Do I need to call the 02 upgrade department so that they can put through to retentions or is retentions a different option? (leaving department)

When I call 02, there is an option for upgrades and leaving.
  • latecomer
    Options
    I would phone the upgrade department first and see what they can offer - always best if you have something seen else with another network that you can use as a bargaining tool. If they dont give you a deal you are happy with then you could ask about getting your PAC code as explained above.

Some networks wont let you speak to retentions directly. Have a look at the 02 retentions thread - it will be on one of the first couple of pages.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure