No ADSL from Pipex after line fault - Help!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
3 replies 1.3K views
flip74flip74 Forumite
2 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hello!

Sorry for this being quite long.

I was hoping somebody could help me please?

On the afternoon of the 25th January, I noticed that the Link LED on my router was flashing indicating that sync had been lost. I power cycled the router, but there was still no sync. I also tried 2 other modems/ router and 2 different micro filters, which made no difference.

I checked my phone for a dial tone and there wasn’t one. The line was completely dead – no incoming or outgoing calls or ADSL.

I raised a fault report on BT’s website via dial up on the spare line, the result of which was that there was likely to be a fault at the exchange and they hope to have an Engineer assigned by the 26th January.

On the 26th an Engineer left a message on what was my faulty line (obviously fixed now!) saying unfortunately there is a fault a the exchange and that I will be without ADSL for up to 5 days.

I contacted Pipex by email on the 27th, who say BT hasn’t been in touch with them regarding any problems in the area.

We have just got off the phone to Pipex customer support today (after being recommended to by the last person at Pipex I emailed) who asked if we’d contacted another ISP, as someone is trying to take over my ADSL. We have not contacted anybody about migrating.

When I mentioned that I thought I needed a MAC (which again nobody has requested) to migrate, I was told that he’d spoken to someone in another department who had said that it wasn’t always necessary.

I was also told that I need to get in touch with BT (when I asked which department the reply was that they didn’t know!) and tell them I to stop the migration or I will be completely without ADSL by the 5th February.

I hope this isn’t too confusing, I just don’t really know what to do now. BT is saying there’s a fault at the exchange – Pipex are saying about someone requesting a change to different ISP.

Help!

Phill (Still without Broadband)

Replies

• sorry this won't solve your problem (don't want to build your hopes up!)

Though i am with pipex, considering moving soon though, and the modem they supplied sometimes intermittently flashes - it should be solid green, but sometimes it was a case of restarting the pc, or once i had to uninstall the moden and then re-install the drivers etc.

I'd phone pipex again, probably speak to a different person and see what they have to say with regards to migrating requests, i also understood a MAC code was needed to switch, but i haven't ever requested one so what do i know :confused:
  • flip74 wrote:
    We have just got off the phone to Pipex customer support today (after being recommended to by the last person at Pipex I emailed) who asked if we’d contacted another ISP, as someone is trying to take over my ADSL. We have not contacted anybody about migrating.

When I mentioned that I thought I needed a MAC (which again nobody has requested) to migrate, I was told that he’d spoken to someone in another department who had said that it wasn’t always necessary.

I was also told that I need to get in touch with BT (when I asked which department the reply was that they didn’t know!) and tell them I to stop the migration or I will be completely without ADSL by the 5th February.

It sounds like Pipex are giving you the run around!

No other ISP can 'take over' your ADSL unless you've gone to a different provider & given them a MAC (Which from what you've said hasnt happened).

From the sounds of it, seems like they're reproviding the ADSL on the line and the open order thats on there is the provision order.

Pipex will have the order on their system & what they'd need to do is chase that up for you. If they ask you to chase an order be stuborn, its their duty, you're there customer!!

Hopefully it will get sorted!
  • flip74flip74 Forumite
    2 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks for the replies.

ADSL is still down, so that's been a week from when I first reported the line as being dead. Though, the 5 days BT originally quoted on Friday 26th will be up tomorrow - so I may just wait and see.

I do feel like I'm being given the run around though. It didn't seem that Pipex are too bothered, there was quite a few 'pregnant pauses' when talking to their support which was quite uncomfortable and they haven't offered to do anything. They can't even recommend who to speak to at BT.

Going by what I've read on other forums you do need a MAC to migrate. Which is not what I was told by Pipex C.S.

I'm a bit concerned about being charged my subscription for a service I can't use (I'm having to use dial up with a charge per minute) also I am concerned about this date of the 5th Feb where according to Pipex I will lose ADSL. I presume then that I will have to pay a reconnection fee?

I've been with Pipex for about 4 years and till now things haven't been that bad.

Phill
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides