Best NHS Optician

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
13 replies 1.9K views
wulfherewulfhere Forumite
116 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
Hi, I need to have an eye test and get a new set of glasses (lenses + frame).

Can anyone recommend where the best place to do this is on the NHS?

I only need glasses for reading. However, are there any particular types of lenses or frames that are worth going for? Scratchproof, anti-glare etc?

Cheers.

Replies

• pmdukpmduk Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you're best asking around friends to get the best of their local knowledge. There is no one best chain, standards vary so much between branches and even individual optometrists.
  • pattycakepattycake Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    There is no such thing as NHS opticians any more. You only get help with the cost of glasses if you fall into certain categories. Such as children, students and people on specific benefits or who qualify for an exemption certificate.

When you get your eyes tested, if you qualify for help, you will get a voucher which you can take to any other optician.
  • nedmundonedmundo Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    pattycake wrote: »
    When you get your eyes tested, if you qualify for help, you will get a voucher which you can take to any other optician.

But of course it's best to get your eyes tested where you plan on getting your specs:)
    Beware the character seeking personal gain masquerading as a moral crusader.
    :beer:
  • k66ylak66yla Forumite
    351 Posts
    ✭✭
    The scratchproof/antiglare lenses are normally an 'extra'. You will get (if you qualify) lenses & frames for free but will get charged for extras.
  • floss2floss2 Forumite
    8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    nedmundo wrote: »
    But of course it's best to get your eyes tested where you plan on getting your specs:)

Not necessarily! You can get your eye test done at the "best" optician you can find, and then take your prescription whereever you find the frames etc at the best price for you!

Alternatively, why not get your eye test and then see if your eyesight would be suited if you buy the ready-made specs sold in most supermarkets & chemists?
  • j.e.j.j.e.j. Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    I've found D & A to be ok, but I think they've been swallowed up by Boots Opticians now (?) An nhs sight test (if you don't qualify for free treatment) will set you back around £30-ish.
  • SRH_2SRH_2 Forumite
    134 Posts
    Keep an eye out for eye test special offers - Tesco often have them and sometimes Boots offer them for £5 if you get a voucher in-store. Then get your glasses from an online shop such as Metsuki. I saved nearly £200 buying from them recently (Shop: £330; Metsuki: £130). I just went into the high street stores, tried on glasses then took the code from the inside arm of the glasses so I could buy direct online. Bargain!
  • nedmundonedmundo Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    floss2 wrote: »
    Not necessarily! You can get your eye test done at the "best" optician you can find, and then take your prescription whereever you find the frames etc at the best price for you!

Indeed you can, but if have any visual issues with the specs, it can be a PITA to sort out. Why would you trust one place to do the eye exam and not to do the specs and vice versa?
    Beware the character seeking personal gain masquerading as a moral crusader.
    :beer:
  • nedmundo wrote: »
    Indeed you can, but if have any visual issues with the specs, it can be a PITA to sort out. Why would you trust one place to do the eye exam and not to do the specs and vice versa?
    it's not about trust but price! you can get glasses online at a vast reduction to the high street. now i still get them done where i have the test, because my prescription is a bit complex which makes me nervous of doing it online, but plenty of people go online and get great deals (for me, the price different isn't so much since my eyes are dodgy!)
    :happyhear
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's not about trust but price! you can get glasses online at a vast reduction to the high street. now i still get them done where i have the test, because my prescription is a bit complex which makes me nervous of doing it online, but plenty of people go online and get great deals (for me, the price different isn't so much since my eyes are dodgy!)

Yes you can get glasses on-line a lot cheaper but you yourself admit you wouldn't do it so why advise others?

Id agree with nedmundo in this instance. From the op post is seems they are not too au fait with opticians and spectacle wearing so finding an optician you trust to advise you the best way forward is much more advantageous then going on price alone
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals