American Airlines file for Chapter 11 protection

American Airlines' parent company AMR Corporation has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

The Texas-based company said it expected the airline to continue to operate throughout the bankruptcy process.

The company said business would continue as normal and would honour all bookings and tickets.

BBC News
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...

Comments

• I must have cursed them - booked a flight through BA about 5 hours ago, and it's a code-share with american airlines!
  • claire16c
    claire16c Posts: 7,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Dont worry. Most US airlines filed for this after Sept 11. American managed not to, but are now.
  • one of the worst airlines I've ever flown.
    old planes and even older trolley dollys :0)
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just be aware that since they announced bankruptcy protection no insurance policy issued after than moment will cover the unlikely closure of the airline. It's not a big risk, but it is a risk that wasn't there before
  • claire16c
    one of the worst airlines I've ever flown.

I like their cabin crew. They are always friendly and polite and arent full of themselves like some of the younger ones on other airlines.

Its also much easier to earn miles with them than others who you need to do about a million flights with to get anywhere.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,520 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    one of the worst airlines I've ever flown.

That's funny, they are my airline of choice and have been for some years. Where is your proof of old planes?
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • Yuuuuuuup we have always had good service from them aswell .................. We have booked for a return visit to Chicago with them next June. Can't wait to go back to "Billy Goats Tavern" for a cheeseburger !!!!!!!!!! But NO fries ! Only chips !

Chicago the new black ............... NYC oh so yesterday !

Cofion
    David
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    also a fan of AA's cabin crew...much prefer them to the likes of some other airlines where what they look like seems to be the most important thing...AA's are generally older, but also much more efficient...and they've always been extremely friendly.

We've never had an issue with an old plane, though we generally specifically choose transatlantic flights on one of their 777s.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    No problem here either with AA. The cabin crew have been friendlier than more as they have the best cabin service of any transatlantic I've flown with as they were constantly round with the trolleys.
  • claire16c
    I also think their food is pretty good. No other airlines seem to do mini pizzas!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure