Question regarding mobile phone.....

timberflake
timberflake Posts: 1,623 Forumite
My girlfriend and I were watching a film last night and there was a really funny bit about 10 seconds long that my girlfriend wanted me to put on her Samsung D900. I used a converter to change it from a .vob to mp4 and sent it to her phone via bluetooth. It played back perfectly.

I wanted to send it to my Sony Erisson W800i too but it was all jerky on mine, so I lobbed the picture size/bitrate/frame rate down and sent it again. Same problem.

My question is:
  1. Why did the video play fine on a D900, but not on my W800i? Both video's were sent to the phone memory not the memory stick.
  2. With regards to memory cards, my girlfriend doesn't have a micro SD card on her D900, if she were to buy one and put a video on it, would it play back as smoothly as it did on the phone memory? The D900 seems to be a quality phone but comes with a poultry 60mb embedded memory! I'm due for an upgrade next week and was looking at the K800i, but if the thing can't play video's the D900 might be the better option!

Would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• lee634
    lee634 Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Same problem.

My question is:
    1. Why did the video play fine on a D900, but not on my W800i? Both video's were sent to the phone memory not the memory stick.

The Video format on the sony should be .3GP I believe
    1. With regards to memory cards, my girlfriend doesn't have a micro SD card on her D900, if she were to buy one and put a video on it, would it play back as smoothly as it did on the phone memory? The D900 seems to be a quality phone but comes with a poultry 60mb embedded memory! I'm due for an upgrade next week and was looking at the K800i, but if the thing can't play video's the D900 might be the better option!
    Would appreciate any advice.

Why would you want to upgrade to the K800i as it's very similar to the W800i Just a better camera spec.

Especially when there are better sony's around now
  • timberflake
    The video format doesn't matter, I tried mp4 and 3gp and had the same problem with each on the W800i and mp4 played perfectly on the D900.

As for better SE phones than the K800i, I'm on a £25 tariff with O2 and never use my allowance, so if you know of a better SE than the K800i that I can get for free on an upgrade please tell me!
  • timberflake
    Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter? I was going to go for the sony K800i as my upgrade, but with the question as to whether it can handle converted .vob's I may have to through the D900 into the mix.
  • gaming_guy
    gaming_guy Posts: 6,128
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter? I was going to go for the sony K800i as my upgrade, but with the question as to whether it can handle converted .vob's I may have to through the D900 into the mix.
    try putting the video into 176*144 resolution and at a low bit rate in .3gp format
  • lee634
    lee634 Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    timberflake,

Have just found this thread on mobile planet re mp4 playback

" am stuck, i can only hear the sound when i put a mp4 video on my phone? any one know why this is. i am using a mc btw? please help any one :)

edit: Ive sorted this now (hopefully) to get a mp4 to play, it must be 176:144 and 128kps and it works with no pixelation what so ever!"

gaming_guy SNAP
  • timberflake
    Thanks guys, tried the resolution and bitrate suggested but it made no difference. I'm not too concerned though, after seeing it work perfectly in mp4 format on my girlfriends D900 I think I'm gonna get 1 when I upgrade next week then buy a 2gb micro SD card.
  • I'm intrigued, what was the clip?
  • gaming_guy
    gaming_guy Posts: 6,128
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Are you sure it is in .3gp format?
  • timberflake
    gaming_guy wrote:
    Are you sure it is in .3gp format?

Positive :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.