We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Balance Transfer Q

Just a quick question about doing a balance transfer.

I have a CapOne with a £500 limit. It's been paid off every month in full and I want to continue this pattern and still have a chunk of cash left over christmas. It's currently at 75% of the limit and I won't be doing any more spending on it.

I have a BC initial at 0 and £800 limit. Can I do a balance transfer when I get the statement to cover the full amount and then pay off the BC the following month?

Will this look better on my file than paying off say 50% of the balance.

Or should I just pay it off in full anyway?

Comments

  • Just a quick question about doing a balance transfer.

    I have a CapOne with a £500 limit. It's been paid off every month in full and I want to continue this pattern and still have a chunk of cash left over christmas. It's currently at 75% of the limit and I won't be doing any more spending on it.

    I have a BC initial at 0 and £800 limit. Can I do a balance transfer when I get the statement to cover the full amount and then pay off the BC the following month?

    Will this look better on my file than paying off say 50% of the balance.

    Or should I just pay it off in full anyway?
    A couple of things to factor in to your calculation...
    • If you only pay 50% of the balance you will still be charged interest on 100% of it.
    • How much will you be charged by BC to make the transfer?
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    why

    what are the APRs and BT fees that make this a useful thing to do?

    without fuly understanding what you are doing
    if you can't pay in full for one month only then use the two cards; pay one in full and avoid all the interest on that and then use the other for any excess and pay in full asap thereafter.
    EU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
    some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
    EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances
  • I can afford to pay the balance in full but it's just at a time when I'd prefer to keep some extra cash in my pocket.

    I want to do this while maintaining all the work I've done so far to build an attractive credit profile.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.