Ryanair card - topping up

Options
So I have bitten the bullet and got myself a Ryanair prepaid card for paying for flights.

I see that when topping up with a debit card the minimum top-up is £150. Has anyone tried topping up with a smaller amount using a bank transfer?
Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning

Comments

• greyteam1959
    Options
    I think the minimum top up by ANY method is 150.00 might be wrong though.
    Thats why I, & many others are not ever going to use this new card.
  • johne2010
    Options
    Question: You pay into the Ryanair Bank £150 spend £75 on a flight, you don't need another flight for 8 months, Ryanair bank get interest on remaining £75 for 8 months, you then are charged inactivity charges, you then need to book another flight for £75, but not enough £'s on card to pay for flight therefore you need to top up with another £150 leaving at least £100 in the Ryanair bank for them to make more interest on. Is this the way Ryanair is raising interest free loans?
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    Ryanair dont get the money johne2010, R. Raphael & Sons plc who are the card issuers do. Ryanair probably get a small commission of transaction fees.
    BTW you don't have to leave money on the card as described. A more sensible way would be to withdraw it via an ATM (small fee) within the 6 month period to keep the card "active" and then load it again when you need to use it again.
    Its all more hassle than I am willing to put up with, so I doubt I'll get one
  • johne2010
    Options
    Thats the crux of the debate Bugetflyer "A more sensible way would be to withdraw it via an ATM (small fee)" and I do suspect that Ryanair have a very cosy relationship with R. Raphael & Sons plc
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hmmm... thanks. I was really just wondering what they would do if you made a bank transfer for a smaller amount and if anyone had actually tried it.

For the time being, using the card to pay for things in the UK is free, so after buying the flights I will probably just spend the rest of the balance.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills