We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

garlic growing

Options
hello all

is it too late to plant my garlic out? im in bradford.

also, any tips on other crops to plant at the moment?

thanks

Comments

• Mrs_Money
    Mrs_Money Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 27 November 2011 at 5:38PM
    Options
    Well, I suppose you are a bit far north, but I think I've read something like "Plant garlic on the shortest day - harvest it on the longest day" - so it may still be okay now as the shortest day is a bit under 4 weeks away?
    I planted mine about 2 months ago and laid some green pea netting over it to prevent it being dug up by the neighbourhood cats and, before we realised, it was poking green shoots through the netting! So it may help if it's a bit cold where you are, to lay something over it for a month - fleece, netting or something?
    Perhaps someone with more actual experience of growing it may come along and have some more advice :)
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I'm near Haworth. There is all sorts of advice on the net. One says 'between late Autumn and early spring but best before Christmas'.
    There are different varieties - which might perform differently.
    I was actually leaving my planting till February so thanks for the reminder.
    Worth checking out a garden centre rather than risk your supermarket leftovers maybe.
  • love_lifer
    Options
    ^Thanks. I have read a range of net advice and got myself confused. I reckon now will be fine, given your comments and stuff i just read on an allotment site.
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,190 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It'll be fine for you to plant it now. We are not quite as far north as you, but last year's garlic which didn't get planted until the middle of December during a snowstorm, grew perfectly fine & we had a good crop. Go for it!
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • ANY_CHANCE
    Options
    Can you use garlic from the supermarket? and do you need to separate it into individual cloves? skin on?
    “most people give up just as they are about to achieve success”
    If you think you are going through hell keep going - Sir Winston Churchill
    If You Can't Change It, Change the Way You Think About It.
    SW, 13st5lb, -4 1/2, -1,(12st13.5lbs)
  • angelavdavis
    Options
    Garlic sold as seed garlic is designed to thrive in this country. Although you can use bulbs from the supermarket - they may be more suited to warmer climates so may not be as successful. Having said that, there is no harm in trying and some people do use supermarket garlic. You need to split bulbs into individual cloves, leaving the skin on, plant pointed edge facing the sky.

Some cold years I have actually used a hammer and stake to dig a hole into frozen soil to plant garlic when I have been late planting - always produced a good crop for me. It's not advisable though.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • tink1981_2
    Options
    hi

We're in Leeds and my DH swares by the plant on the longest day harvest on the shortest. All the years he has grown in this way have been sucessful so should think you'd still be ok to plant now.

If you can't find any bulbs in the garden centres, there is a good stall that seems to go round the farmers markets round here selling oils and things who also sell growing garlic. The guy is really helpful and can offer good advice on the varieties to grow :)

tink x
    :j

Sealed Pot Challenge #1505

'you wouldn't worry about what people think, if you realised how seldom they do'
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My supermarket garlic did not do quite as well as the proper seed garlic.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've planted 2kg of garlic cloves from usual supplier - it seems the garlic had slightly smaller cloves this, so rather than the 180 I anticipated, I think I've got around 250 planted. :eek:

Well, if they all do well, that's only 5 heads per week for the next year :rotfl:

They were only planted a few weeks ago,and when I went to check have noticed a lot are putting out long roots already.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure