We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage Exit Fees successes and failures

Options

Comments

• The_Deanes
    Options
    Brilliant
    I spent a whole day pulling 6 mortgage details out of the Black Hole Sent off 6 letters. Some with only dates from memory.

So far Ive had 2 refunds for over charged Exit Fees Total £195.00 and one letter Looking in to it.

Bring on the post I cant wait. Beats the usual begging letters from the council tax/water rates and the utilities.

Give it a try its worth it

BEST OF LUCK to you ALL :T
  • AngleseySoulie
    Options
    :jPhoned my ex mortgage company C and G this afternoon to discuss claiming back the Exit fee,
    they said it will take a couple of weeks.
    They have just phoned back this aft refunding me their full charge of 100 pounds,,,,,,,,:beer:Fantastic news,cheers

• biscuit.lover
    Options
    Thanks to MSE I sent off the request letter as per the template on Monday and I had a cheque for £225 by Friday, how good is that?
    :j
  • redbluetwo
    Options
    Had a Chq from Santander today for £140 being the difference between the amount that I was charged on redemption of £225 and the mortgage repayment fee stated in my contract. Very pleased about that should I be writing back asking for 8% Interest as it was 10 years ago?
  • iloveelvis4ever
    Options
    I recently sent off the downloaded letter to Northern Rock and they replied to say they had no records of my mortgage but I could try writing to 'NRAM' instead. Undeterred, I sent the same letter plus a photocopy of my mortgage statement and they replied to offer me my original £250 exit fee plus £120 in interest! I ended my mortage in 2006 and am VERY pleased with this refund :)
  • hevvanoz_2
    hevvanoz_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 1 March 2012 at 3:09PM
    Options
    Hi there.

After reading the info on reclaiming mortgage exit fees,I thought I'd give it a go.I rang the Halifax( has a dedicated number for this!) Spoke to a number of people,on hold for a bit etc etc. Finally was told I would be receiving a letter to log my concerns.Letter arrived approx week later.Heard nothing more until Last thursday 23rd Feb when a very nice lady rang from the Halifax and explained I would be getting my full exit fee( £150.00) re-imbursed and as a gesture of goodwill a further £50.00 on top as I had waited 6weeks! How lovely! absolutely made up! Thank you Martin! and thank you Halifax! I'm one happy girl!..:T
  • hevvanoz_2
    hevvanoz_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 1 March 2012 at 3:26PM
    Options
    Hi there
    Ring the Halifax and ask for their archive dept.Have as much information as possible regarding your mortgage i.e date,month,year, monthly payment etc.They should be able to find your roll number from this info.Its how I retrieved my roll number! I needed it for another reason( not exit fee) so best not to mention this when you ring! Good Luck!

Sorry am new to this! this was intended as a reply to Chocci a post further up the page..Hope I've done it right!
  • tippytoes51
    Options
    I have sent a letter to a previous mortgage company(The Mortgage Works) requesting a refund of my exit fees - they say that they cannot entertain this as the FSA have set a time limit of 6 years for a complaint, the mortgage was in 2004 - is this right or are they just trying to fob me off?? would appreciate any help and comments thanks.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the mortgage was redeemed over 6 years ago, they are quite right that they don't need to consider a complaint. The limit is not from the FSA; it is the standard legal statute of limitations.

You are NOT entitled to "a refund of your exit fees" under any circumstances, anyway. You might be entitled to a refund of any INCREASE in exit fees between taking out the mortgage, and redeeming it, but not for one redeemed in 2004.
  • Stoofer
    Options
    Hi, thought I would share my good news, sent a letter to RBS using your template last week ref exit fees increase, this morning I got a letter back with a cheque for £290 which was a full refund plus interest!

Success!!! :dance:

FYI - The mortgage was started in 2003 and I settled in 2006.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport