overcharged by NTL

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
6 replies 605 views
cupid_scupid_s Forumite
2K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
I recently got a broadband and tv package from NTL. I didn't get any statements for ages, but checking my bank accounts I was being charged way too much. I was getting 3 payments being taken. One for 17.99 (I was informed that this was for my internet). One for £2.01 (the discounted rate for my tele because of taking the internet). And one for £20.99. I firstly was never told I wouldn't have one simple payment for £20 so was very confused by the three coming out.

I phoned to complain and the woman was very rude and told me that I was being charged correctly. Then after me explaining for about 10 minutes she decided my modem was being detected as a second set top box so I was being charged for another set top box at full rate (20.99) as well as my package. Even after phoning they still took the extra payment for the month afterwards. These extra payments left my tv account with them £83.96 in credit.

I asked for the money back and was told they can't give it me. They can only debit my account not credit it. Instead I don't have to pay any television charges for 42 months (with it only costing £2.01 a month). I asked if it could cover the internet costs as well so I wouldn't have to pay anything for 4 months and then my credit would be used up. They said they can't do this as the tv and internet are processed by different parts of the company.

We'll I don't want 40 months credit - we not even planning on being in our house that long and I would much rather have the money now. Ok it's only about £80 but they shouldn't have taken it and I have much better things to do with £80 than pay for over 3 years of tv upfront that I didn't even really want that much (we got it as it we needed internet for work and we thought we may as well get tv for an extra £2)

I am disgusted with how they handled it and they obviously thought they were doing me a favour by not charging me for the next 40 months, they offered nothing by way of apology and really I just want my money back.

What can I do?
(sorry for the long rant)
c_s

Replies

• ampersandampersand Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello cupid_stunt,
    Pop over to the Consumer action group part of this site(via whose wonderful help and support I have just received back my A&L bank charges over 6 years).
    You could well find help there as the site also covers utilites and retail companies' nasty practices.
    Have a look and good luck
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Lady_ELady_E Forumite
    1K Posts
    I am sure you know but NTL is in the throws of being taken over by Virgin Media , it might just be worth contacting them or Richard Branson to highlight your problem ..............try https://www.knowfirst.co.uk
  • ampersand wrote:
    Hello cupid_stunt,
    Pop over to the Consumer action group part of this site(via whose wonderful help and support I have just received back my A&L bank charges over 6 years).
    You could well find help there as the site also covers utilites and retail companies' nasty practices.
    Have a look and good luck

Hi there. Could you please point me in the direction of the consumer action part of MSE?
    Thanks
  • mrJ_5mrJ_5 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Just a heads up.... Virgin Media isn't taking over... NTL:Telewest are/have merging/merged with Virgin Mobile, which, allows them use of the Virgin Brand (that and Richard Branson now owns a rather large stake in the combined company)... Virgin Media is the re-brand of everything :)
  • ampersandampersand Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi there. Could you please point me in the direction of the consumer action part of MSE?
    Thanks
    Click on Loans and Banking, down the l/h column of this page, then to Martin's Reclaim your Bank Charges Article >way down towards the bottom, where you'll find Free Resources(green banner headline) >2nd bullet point: Other Bank Charges websites. There you'll find consumeractiongroup underlined in blue amd all ready for you to click.
    Make your way down to the third main section, after all the Banks are listed. This includes retailers.
    I think you'll find the whole thing useful.
    pm me if this doesn't get you there.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• o_t_eo_t_e Forumite
    463 Posts
    Cupid, were the payments made by direct debit? if that is the case you have a right to have the overpayments refunded by your bank under the DD guarantee scheme - the bank might try and fob you off by saying you need to sort it out with NTL but it is the bank who should refund you; they then send a refund request to NTL who are compelled to refund the bank immediately.

Here's the wording of the guarantee:

The Guarantee
    If the amounts to be paid by Direct Debit or the payment dates change, the organisation collecting the payment will notify you normally 10 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed.

If an error is made by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid.

If any payment is made in error, you should contact your bank or building society who are responsible for giving you a full and immediate refund - even if the original error was made by the organisation collecting the payment.

Direct Debit is one of the safest ways of paying your bills. Fraud rarely occurs because organisations using the Direct Debit Scheme go through a careful vetting process before they're authorised, and are closely monitored by the banking industry. But if money were to be taken from your account fraudulently you'd be protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee, and would be entitled to an immediate refund from your bank or building society.

Don't forget, you can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by contacting your bank or building society. We also recommend you notify the organisation concerned.

{edit} more info here:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/27/27-directdebit-guarantee.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals