We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Is it just me?!

Options
I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who can't wait to start in the garden!
I'm like a child waiting to unwrap Christmas presents lol!
I don't have much room in the garden and no greenhouse so I'm a bit limited as to what I can grow. Last year I did chillies, peppers and tomatoes in hanging baskets and they were great. OMG I can't wait lol! :j
Good Enough Club member number 2

Comments

• alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who can't wait to start in the garden!
    I'm like a child waiting to unwrap Christmas presents lol!
    I don't have much room in the garden and no greenhouse so I'm a bit limited as to what I can grow. Last year I did chillies, peppers and tomatoes in hanging baskets and they were great. OMG I can't wait lol! :j

calm down calm down :p I to have a little garden - low maintenance shingled :( by the previous owners so not much space to grow stuff. About 6 tons of shingle so i am not moving it in a hurry.

Anyway, going to try veggies in containers this year never tried before but i am looking forward to having a bash and it entertains the kids as well so good fun all around really.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No its not just you, I'm hyper about the new year too, whats your plans?
  • louise_1981
    louise_1981 Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    Me too, I get the keys to my new house in two weeks time just before half term, can't wait to get in the garden. the old man that lived there is a keen gardener too, so going to see what I want to keep, and what I want to get rid off, plus it has a lean to, potting shed / green house, which I want to keep but OH wants rid.
    The sign of a wasted life is a tidy house, Welcome to the chaos!
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Only a little bit green with envy over the potting shed. Let us know how you get on.
  • millymoomoo_2
    Options
    Ahhh definately don't get rid of the potting shed! I so wish I had the room for one!
    This year I will be attempting cucumbers, lettuce and spring onions aswell as tomatoes, chillies, peppers, strawberries and raspberries (which I did last year). They will all have to be in pots though!
    Good Enough Club member number 2
  • wokkies
    wokkies Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    my dh gets excited :j whenever we drive past the horse field and they have the sign saying free manure, but it stinks the car out, lol ah well it makes him happy
    to be updated:;)
  • troll35
    troll35 Posts: 712 Forumite
    Options
    I decided I couldn't wait any longer and I planted 3 plantpots, one with moneymaker tomatoes (will go on windowsill in porch when warmer), one with one with courgettes (will go in my mother's greenhouse when grown) and one with gartenperle tomatoes, a bush cherry tomato which have just germinated and will also go either on a windowsill or in the greenhouse when they get bigger. All are currently on my dining room windowsill above a radiator. I will do the same next month and hopefully I will prolong the season for homegrown veg just a little.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am excited too. I have a little garden, no greenhouse, but can't wait.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Me too...

Does anyone have a list of when to start planting what plants... so I can make notes in my diary?

M
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm excited too. Been to Netto today and got some 19p seeds. I've got potatoes on the window sill chitting, and we've bought one of those plastic greenhouse thingies from Focus for half price. Last year we grew blueberries, tumbler toms, strawberries and peppers, all in pots on the patio. This year we want to be a bit more adventurous, and we're going to do a raised bed to try and grow some veg. Been to the reclamation yard today for timber and DH will be making a start this week on putting it together.
    Then I think we have to dig down and break the existing soil (read clay) and then top-up with fresh soil. Where can we get soil from, and is there anything we need to look out for? Really inexperienced gardener, and feel so silly not knowing the answer to even the most basic of questions, but I guess we all have to start somewhere. MORP3US, I think you're in the same region as me (Staffs) so I'd be interested in knowing what to plant and when if you find anything out. DS school are holding a 'novice in the garden' day soon, so might learn a few things then!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure