Does home insurance cover oilburners?

Hi all
I m posting this up for hubby, he works part time servicing oil burners and repairing and installing them. He has only been doing it a few months (fully qualified). He has been told that the home insurance does not cover the wheel fire valve, (this is the part that shuts off the oil if there is a fire) and that he should be replacing it with an automatic fire valve when he is servicing, he was told this by another engineer, however he has been talking to our local insurance broker and he says that the home insurance will cover this.
Now he is unsure what to do .
Is there anybody who could clarify this?
Thanks for your help
Babss

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm unsure what you mean...
    1) He services/repairs the burners at home? So is wondering if HIS home insurance covers the parts? I doubt it as this is business use and business materials - check direct with the insurer.
    2) or is he wondering about whether his customers home insurance covers their part? It should.

I imagine he is an OFTEC registered engineer? So will be familiar with building Regs. So he'll know that Building Regs require new boiler installations to have an automatic fire valve. However these do not have to be retro-fitted to installations that were installed before the Building Regs came into force. Though that is a Building Regs issue, not an insurance one.

edit: note I'm not an OFTEC ngineer, nor a buildings control inspector, nor an insurance broker - so any one of those will know better than I....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure