We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

we have various veg seeds for planting

Options
we want to start them up in seedling trays in our spare room but what can i start off now .
or is there some kind of chart online that i can look at !.
cheers
The original janiebaby ;)

Comments

• Gabriel-Ernest
    Options
    Depends what seeds you have. Thompson & Morgan give pretty detailed sowing instructions if you search for the broad varieties you have:

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en
    Touch my food ... Feel my fork!
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, it all depends what they are, and also your location. The reason that is, is because most veggies can't stand frost without some protection. Which you need to have in place before its frosty, really. Mainly because you'll get caught out. Its bound to happen.

Let us know, and I'm sure people will help :D
  • katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Options
    Tomatoes and peppers and some herbs now but you need propagation. You can't plant out till late May because of frost risk.
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • Gabriel-Ernest
    Options
    Here's a useful frost timing guide:

http://www.crocus.co.uk/howto/jackfrost/
    Touch my food ... Feel my fork!
  • janiebaby29
    janiebaby29 Posts: 1,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    was going to sow seeds and grow them indoors in a mini greehouse .
  • Lord_Gardener
    Options
    Are you going to plant indoors for transplanting outside at a later date or just to grow indoors?
    I'm mad!!!! :rotfl::jand celebrating everyday every year!!!
  • janiebaby29
    janiebaby29 Posts: 1,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you going to plant indoors for transplanting outside at a later date or just to grow indoors?
    sowing indoors to transplant at a later date . i want to get the best from the seeds , is this the way to go ?
  • wurzelsar
    wurzelsar Posts: 15,316 Forumite
    Options
    I sow indoors. I always start seeds off in the greenhouse and transplant when the weather is warmer but harden off the plants first.

I sow flowers and veg in cell trays. Beetroot and lettuce are brilliant when done this way. I've done it for years.
    I wish you......
    A sunbeam to warm you,
    A moonbeam to charm you,
    A sheltering angel, so nothing can harm you.
  • Caroline2CV
    Options
    Just a word of caution. Been told that in "Windless" growing conditions i.e. greenhouse plants can become floppy & start to grow horizontal. Ventilation all helps
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a word of caution. Been told that in "Windless" growing conditions i.e. greenhouse plants can become floppy & start to grow horizontal. Ventilation all helps

Hi, they grow horizontal because they are growing towards the light. Its natural that they need the light.

But you can avoid this by turning the trays of seeds around, so the side that was at the back is now at the front, thus the seedlings then lean the opposite way.

Hope that makes sense.

These babies take abit of looking after, but its worth it and everso exciting :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure