🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

When to send money to ISA?

Options
Hi all

Just rearranging a few things and thinking about how I'm going to take advantage of next year's mini cash ISA allowance.

My question is, at what stage do you lot hit the "transfer" button (assuming you use online banking) in order to get the money from wherever you have it into the ISA as close as possible to the first day of the tax year, so as to make sure interest is tax-free for as long as possible?

I've never really thought about this before and usually sent the funds on 6th April (which is Good Friday this year, complicating things a bit). Obv can't send them too early, but was just curious as to what people do as I know there are some posters who are very careful when transferring money so as not to lose too much interest.

Suze
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• gelato_cat
    gelato_cat Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one.

There are people on here who have formulae they've worked out telling them how much interest they lose by transferring over weekends and stuff (something I used to do without thinking as I do all my admin at the weekend) - so it would be interesting to hear what they do!

Suze

Al_Mac wrote:
    Being a coward and not wanting to mess up, I've always sent mine on the first day, of the new tax year. Was about 5 past midnight last year :)

There was no "take it at the correct time, so as not to bu$$er it up", button ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • gelato_cat
    gelato_cat Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :D

Well, I couldn't believe how blonde I'd been transferring money after a Wednesday all these years :eek:

I'm learning!

Suze

Al_Mac wrote:
    I can admit to working out break even points :)
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    if you are a basic rate taxpayer you will be losing 8p for every day you are late transferring the money assuming that the account you are transferring from is paying the same gross interest rate.

why not just set up a direct debit/standing order with your isa provider to transfer the money on 6 april.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport