Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Cleaning a washing machine

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Cleaning a washing machine

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
171 replies 500.3K views
MimiJaneMimiJane Forumite
7.9K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
I'm sure I've read on this board that vinegar can be used as a descaler for washing machines by running it through one cycle (a bit less expensive than Calgon ::)).

Can someone help me with a couple of queries about this :

Is it white or brown vinegar that should be used?
How much is it necessary to put in the machine?

Thanks. :)
Wins since 2009 = £16,880

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS

Replies

• jaybeejaybee Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I use White Vinegar - about a cupfull.
  • MimiJaneMimiJane Forumite
    7.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks jaybee.

;D

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
  • CaterinaCaterina Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't the large amount of water wash away the vinegar before it can take effect?

I presume you put it on a wash cycle, no?

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • rachrach Forumite
    5.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    does it need to be a very hot wash? and where do you put it in the machine? my machine could do with a good clean out...poss cos it only usually gets run at 40o. tried using soda crystals on a hot wash the other day but didn;t really seem to work....eg the drawer etc still looks really scummy... ???
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • Chris25Chris25 Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've started using a fabric-softener capful of white vinegar (after seeing a post here somewhere) to each wash load. I use it instead of the fabric softener. The clothes don't come up luxuriously soft but they're fine and they don't smell of vinegar - no-one's complained yet :).
    I've just thought - I wonder if I should be doing the same to the dishwasher ???

Rach, can't you take out your dispenser drawer?
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Lillibet_2Lillibet_2 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I too use a capful of white vinegar in each & every wash instead of fabric softner. Can't say it honestly softens the laundry too much but it kills germs & bacteria (good for pet bedding, sheets & towels etc), it removes sweat stains & smells (Good for hubby's work clothes) & it keeps the washing machine limescale free. Oh, and I only ever do a cold wash!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • one cupful, white vinegar, about once every 6 weeks is what i do. had to have engineer out the other week, and he was amazed at how little limescale was in it, for such an old machine. ;D
  • rachrach Forumite
    5.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    where do you put it 160?
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • MimiJaneMimiJane Forumite
    7.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't have thought it matters ... it'll end up in the drum whatever. Personally, I'd put it directly into the drum.

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
  • 1601199616011996 Forumite
    8.3K posts
    where do you put it 160?

half in the soap bit of the drawer, half in the fabric bit, so it sort of gets done twice in a wash.