Dyson Hot

Options
Just come over from the over 50s forum where i have read about a new heater called the Dyson Hot

Can any experts say what they think of this heater good or bad

Comments

• chris1973
    chris1973 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would imagine that if it was some kind of new revolutionary form of economical heating, that the internet in general would already be buzzing about it, and you probably wouldn't need to ask the question..

Until that time, I would just keep an open mind and consider it to be no different to any other 'New' product launch.

Edit - just found this:- http://www.dyson.co.uk/fans/heaters.asp

It appears to be some kind of new age comtemporary looking fan heater, with an expensive price tag.

As electric heating is already 100% efficient it would have to be good to improve on that figure.

As far as moving left to right to disperse the heat evenly, I have a £9.99 halogen heater which does that!
    "Dont expect anybody else to support you, maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when each one, might run out" - Mary Schmich
  • caveat_emptor
    Options
    Just come over from the over 50s forum where i have read about a new heater called the Dyson Hot
    Can any experts say what they think of this heater good or bad
    It's high tech and relatively new and at the price of £260 (phew) I doubt that there are many buyers/reviewers. Search for Dyson Hot and there are lots of video demo's.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    An overengineered, overpriced solution to a problem that does not exist.

Quite Stylish mind.

dyson_hot-269944.jpg
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Leon_W
    Leon_W Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It will be exactly like all their other products.

Overpriced style over substance.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have been buying Dyson hoovers for at least twelve years.
    The DC01 lasted eight years, and I just had to change one drive belt.

The later ones are heavier and more prone to breakage.

I wish they would make the DC01 again.

The Hot. Saw it in Costco a while back. It's a fan heater, no big deal.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 November 2011 at 7:41PM
    Options
    I have a physics degree, so will that do. I also live in an eco house that needs minimal heat input and I have recently bought my third dyson hot. For us, it is a superb, safe and very efficient form of heating, The alternative for us is to light the wood pellet stove which will then pump the hot water around the house. This takes a 20 minute cycle to warm up to flames and another 20 minutes after switch off to cool down. We only need a boost of heat at the moment and in 15 minutes at 7 am this morning one dyson hot sent its heat out to the open plan kitchen, dining area and lounge. I also left the snug door open and it sent the warmth in there too. Then when it reached 20 degrees, it switched itself off

I have one handy on the landing and have only used it twice, set on 19 degrees. The third is for wherever it might be needed. The three combined give us a very versatile form of central heating. It was very hot in here a few weeks ago, so I used the dyson hot as a cooling fan and that is also very efficient at no cost as we have PV.

To say that dh and I are delighted with them is an understatement

The internet won`t be buzzing about it because it is too pricey for most people
  • carefullycautious
    Options
    Hello Kitty it was your recommendation that brought me over here to see how it works etc.

Hope I havent offended you by not asking you direct. Apologies
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You will of course get the same result from a £30 fan heater. As to efficiency all electric heaters are 100% efficient.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Its about the high airflow and velocity that moves the heat .. .. but the heat for £269 is the same as the heat from an £10 ALDI fan heater. A killer-WATT in is a killer-WATT out, nothing in the world of physics is going to change that. Its the bling end of heating and of course has a cooler for those stonkey summer months, in fact its a 1300w infinitely controllable heater built into the bladeless multiplier fan they brought out a year or so ago. Its very nice as an occasional heater or even as a talking piece, whether or not its good or bad depends on what the O/P wants to use it for - and where the O/P wants to use it. I certainly will not be cheap in an average use average thermal value home.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • grahamc2003
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    . We only need a boost of heat at the moment and in 15 minutes at 7 am this morning one dyson hot sent its heat out to the open plan kitchen, dining area and lounge. I also left the snug door open and it sent the warmth in there too. Then when it reached 20 degrees, it switched itself off.

I have one handy on the landing and have only used it twice, set on 19 degrees. The third is for wherever it might be needed. The three combined give us a very versatile form of central heating.
    To say that dh and I are delighted with them is an understatement

If the unit is 1.3kW, then for four rooms to be heated to 20C in 15 minutes means the starting temperature must have been around 19.8C, in which case it has to be asked why turn the heating on for such an almost unnoticable temperature rise? The heat added - 325wh - would make no noticable difference.

Also, if you have 3 of these units at 1.3kw each, that makes a maximum of 3.9kW available for heating - and that is nowhere near enough to heat a whole house, so can't see how you think it is like a central heating system.

The bumpf seems to imply this fan heater has some similarities with an aicraft jet engine, but I'm afraid that statement is total nonsense, something James Dyson must realise. I really think Dyson has had a bit of poor advice from his ad agency on this one. It may well be stylish, novel and exclusively priced, but it is a fan heater, with the same heat output as all other fan heaters of the same rating, and not an aircraft jet engine (In the strictest sense, it is an electric jet engine in that it accelerates air (as all fan heaters do), but the blurb exploits that fact in a misleading manner imv).

I'm sure the unit would sell very well on its design anyhow, without the silly ad agency inspired nonsense.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure