Christmas gifts for the over 80's inc. care home residents with/without dementia

Options

Comments

• blossomhill_2
    blossomhill_2 Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    edited 17 November 2011 at 11:38PM
    Options
    £1/99p shop has giant playing cards, great for my mum when she had ceased to be able to do her beloved jigsaws due to sight and dexterity problems

MIL is a problem to buy for and we say when we look for something for her "what shall we get for the tombola" cos that's where all the gifts end up. She did really appreciate the giant print word search and crossword book we got her, and KEPT IT!

Icecoldbabe - For your care home realtives would their own (easy care, no fancy emroidered border) duvet cover be an option? Or would the home allow a mobile to be hung up - some non-kiddy theme maybe from somewhere like an ethnic shop or museum shop? [Google parasol mobile]

For older ladies, Elnett hairspray may be a luxury item they wouldn't but themselves

Legwarmers go down quite well too

Georgiesmum - long may your good health and happiness continue but if/when you find yourself in the position of some of my elderly relatives I hope your present-buying relatives find their way to a thread like this
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought I posted this the other day, but I can't see it.

I was at Mum's the other day and asked her if she had a stapler. She did, but only a collection of nasty Bambi sized ones and a full-sized one with no staples. And although she says she has lots of sellotape, I could only find very wide or very narrow, on nasty lightweight broken dispensers.

So she's now getting a standup stapler which looks like a penguin (reduced to 99p but a decent one!), a box of 'normal' staples, some funky coloured staples which came with a small stapler but it takes full-size staples, a staple remover and a half-decent sellotape dispenser.

I shall wrap them all up pretty in a basket with some of her favourite soap and things like that.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • V_Chic_Chick
    Options
    My grandmother is 90, and lives semi-indepently (lots of help from dad), and is able to get out of the house by herself on her mobility scooter, and uses a stairlift. She has, however, got to the stage where she'll tell anyone who'll listen how old she is!! She's still pretty good mentally, although she has become slightly forgetful in her old age as old people have a tendency to. She's also diabetic and has largely lost her sense of taste, so food based items are out! Flowers (she particularly likes orchids - despite being distinctly brown-fingered, she has managed to keep them alive), though, have largely been done a little too often!

She has a parrot (!) so presents have often centred around that - parrot toys, books on parrots, Parrot magazine subscription (the last one she particularly enjoys).

She also particularly likes monkeys and bears, so she's going to get one of these - it's essentially a coffee table book of monkey portraits, and there is a bear version too, so guess what she'll be getting for her birthday if the monkey one goes down well! Advantage of them is that it doesn't require massive amounts of concentration, as a proper novel does. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monkey-Portraits-Jill-Greenberg/dp/0316005126/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I7WFIP7SH8YZ1&colid=3A9TP9MK5U255

Finally, we're trying to keep her getting out and about and in the community. She's expressed an interest in doing some watercolour classes (something she did when she was younger), so I'm going to get her some new watercolours, brushes and paper. Luckily it's one of those things that doesn't require too much moving around!
  • dulcey
    dulcey Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    of course its good to buy elderly relatives presents at christmas, but one early november when it was very cold l heard a family member saying she will buy nan some very warm slippers for christmas. lsaid wouldnt it be better to get them now instead of her waiting 6 weeks ? the reply was no l am getting them for christmas.l usually buy presents for people when l think they need it
  • kandyfloss
    kandyfloss Posts: 166 Forumite
    edited 19 November 2011 at 9:31PM
    Options
    We buy my Fil and any other elderly relatives gift cards for the supermarkets where they shop then after Christmas when the rush is over and everyone is back to work they can then spend them at their leisure on anything they want in the comfort of a nice warm shop.They have to go there for their groceries anyway so it helps with the bill.

We used to do this for my mum when she was alive and she was most greatful as she found she was a bit short of money after having to spend out on her Grandchildren etc before the run up to Christmas.We made sure they were for M&S as she only ever shopped there once a year to spend the gift vouchers as they wereknown in those days and it was nice for her to treat herself to something a bit special.

We have done the slippers,jumpers,hankys,aftershave etc but as they get older they don't seem to want those type of presants so we don't have to spend time traipsing round the shops racking our brains to think up what to buy for them.

Another thing we used to do for my mum at other times was to buy her Gas stamps when they had the gas stores in all the towns so she used to put them towards the cost of her largish bill after xmas.

As they say every little helps...:)
  • blossomhill_2
    Options
    Another one for care home relatives - not really a present as it's not v glam, but a good practical thing for them to have is one or 2 transparent pencil cases and wash bags - it makes keeping their things tidy but to hand so easy can be put in a drawer but still visible on opening, and helps cut down on the number of "lost" things that get stashed away in toilet bags/carrier bags or wrapped up in tissues for "safe keeping"

Even good for specs and hearing aids/batteries

Sussex Stationers-as-was used to do a small transparent pouch for travellers to put MP3 cables in, that was a good shape size too, may still be around at other stores
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • blossomhill_2
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I thought I posted this the other day, but I can't see it.

I was at Mum's the other day and asked her if she had a stapler. She did, but only a collection of nasty Bambi sized ones and a full-sized one with no staples. And although she says she has lots of sellotape, I could only find very wide or very narrow, on nasty lightweight broken dispensers.

So she's now getting a standup stapler which looks like a penguin (reduced to 99p but a decent one!), a box of 'normal' staples, some funky coloured staples which came with a small stapler but it takes full-size staples, a staple remover and a half-decent sellotape dispenser.
    Good point Sue, my elderlies seem to struggle with old bits of office supplies (and can never find the end of the tape) when we younger ones take them for granted - there is a good shoe-shaped dispenser at the moment and those sellotape strips that are pre-cut are a useful luxury (probably need them pre-Christmas though)

A sheet of labels with their name and address on is good too
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A sheet of labels with their name and address on is good too

Is that in case they forget? :rotfl:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • longforgotten
    longforgotten Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    edited 20 November 2011 at 10:00PM
    Options
    Sign that I'm getting old is I think one of the best gifts you can give them is your time, especially for those living on their own. So I'd suggest a small useful gift together with an 'IOU' for a day out. It can be anything from a trip to the garden centre and a bite to eat to weekend away. But the deal is you go with them and have some quality time together.

An evening together , you paying of course, there's the cinema, theatre , meal..........in the New Year when things have quietened down ! Taking them to see friends/ family they haven't seen for ages would be good if they like viisting .
  • V_Chic_Chick
    Options
    Following on from longforgotten's post, my gran has a season pass to the zoo (£42), which is around the corner from her house. Whenever she hears on the news that they have a new animal (especially the gorillas), she'll go round there on her mobility scooter, taking a member of the family / friend in as her carer (which is free).

All followed by a trip to the cafe, natch :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport