Christmas gifts for the over 80's inc. care home residents with/without dementia

Options

Comments

• lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    I think a cuddly toy would be a great idea. Lots of cuddles are a good thing.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When Dad was in hospital before he died Mum used to take a soft toy on each visit, and then take the previous one home again. Dad wasn't demented but he did like to have something to stroke or hold and I suspect talk to ...

If you think your older person would appreciate a wheat bag, Mum has a couple of wheat teddy bears which go in the microwave. They are lovely, smell of Lavendar (OK I can do without the lavendar personally, but it is soothing) and very holdable.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • georgiesmum
    Options
    For goodness sake. We over 70s do like NORMAL things. Because you've bought it once, doesn't mean she /he wouldn't like it again. Posh bicckies, wine, A selection of chocs and sweets packaged by you. Coz you'll know their favourites.
    DVDs or CDs. And don't knock vouchers. Just make sure it's where they usually shop. I'm getting some 80 year old friends a restaurant voucher in the vicinity of where they live.
    A bottle of vodka does it for me every time. And i love the auld fella getting his whiskey, saves me a bomb.

And for gods sake forget the photos and family portraits, we have loads of them lol
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm stuck with what to get for 2 inactive and severely disabled oldies - both now in care homes - one of whom is now also bedridden and on a special diet!

For the bedridden lady, all I have come up with so far is hand cream, and a new tv remote with large buttons on bought from the RNIB shop. Previously it has been things like new nightwear and slippers etc...

For the other lady - I have recently bought her a 250 large-piece jigsaw with a portapuzzle jigsaw holder. I am now working on a photo album witg family pics.

But another idea - how about one of those talking book cds?
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have an elderly uncle who as a partner they are comfortably off and still fairly mobile I googled local hotels and restaurants close by where they live and have got them deluxe afternoon tea vouchers at a 4 star hotel that they can use when the choose

I have done a lot of vouchers this year getting a neice and her partner a restuarant voucher for a smart place near them my brother in law vouchers for a restaurant that he loves Sunday lunch in and have got garden centre vouchers (can be used nationally in any garden centre)for some other relatives

I am determined not to get things people will shove in a cupboard or give to the next tombola and get something that creates a positive enjoyable experience in the tough times we are in!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    For the other lady - I have recently bought her a 250 large-piece jigsaw with a portapuzzle jigsaw holder.
    Can someone please shoot me if I ever ask for a jigsaw ... :rotfl:

I love the diversity of ideas.
  • What's wrong with a jigsaw? The person who I bought it for is physically unable to do the stuff you take for granted i.e use a computer, use any gadgets, hold a book up to read, cannot use a pen so cannot do crosswords, and can only concentrate for short periods of time before she gets fatigued due to her disabilty. A jigsaw gives her some small but pleasurable challenge, helps her to practice hand/eye co-ordination and try to keep what's left of her mental ability to problem solve.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    no, that's fine, I'm sure it's perfect for your recipient, I'm just mentally scarred by trying to do them with DH!
  • Bobl
    Bobl Posts: 695 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    last year I bought my MIL a cemetery plot, she asked what I was going to buy her this year, I said 'nothing, you haven't used what I bought you last year yet'

but seriously, buying her a spa break - will also buy my wife the same so they can go together.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine!
  • dl5543
    dl5543 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    I get my grandparents jigsaws, they absolutely love them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure