Clarity please on ISA Information I have just read

Options
I have just downloaded an article on ISA's from Investment UK and just started to read it and there, as a bulleted point, was this -

'Money held in the cash component of an ISA is entitled to a tax re-claim of 20%'

Does that mean -

(a) Which - I am sure it doesn't my husband who is a non-taxpayer now could claim something back???

(b) What I think it is saying - am I correct -when you actually cash in your ISA the interest element could, if you are a tax payer, attract tax on un-earned income at 20%

Thanking someone in anticipation to help me read it correctly.

Comments

• Cannon_Fodder
    Options
    Interest on Cash ISA's is tax-free...

I suppose the way they've worded it is probably a technically correct Tax office way of saying it, but as far as I know, the "re-claim" is all handled automatically within the ISA - nothing to worry about during or after for the individual...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I believe you will find that they are talking about cash holdings inside an investment ISA (stocks and shares ISA).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Cannon_Fodder
    Options
    Its not exactly clear, as they also say...

"Interest paid on cash held temporarily in a stocks and shares ISA will be taxed at a rate of 20%, but higher rate taxpayers will suffer no further tax liability."

http://www.investmentuk.org/FactSheets/ISAs/Benefits.asp
  • cheerfulcat
    cheerfulcat Posts: 3,341 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Going by the fact that they use the same phrase about income from corporate bonds ( " entitled to a tax re-claim of 20% " ) I assume that they are talking not about the cash in a stocks and shares ISA but the cash part of those Maxi ISAs which have both a cash and a S&S component, and that they do indeed mean that the provider claims back the tax.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure