Maxi ISA transfer

Options
I have a Standard Life ISA invested in the Corporate Bond Fund Income and UK Equity High Income account. I started it in 2001, saving £100 per month and my last contribution to it was in April 2005. Since then, my ISAs have been with Invesco. The Standard Life ISA has not been performing well in comparison to the Invesco, so I was wondering if I can transfer the Standard Life total (circa £16k) to Invesco which seems to give much better returns. If I can, why hasn't my IFA recommended this - he changed the SL funds to give a better return, so he is 'paying attention' to what's going on in it.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Standard Life ISA has not been performing well in comparison to the Invesco, so I was wondering if I can transfer the Standard Life total (circa £16k) to Invesco which seems to give much better returns.

Std Life have some funds that have outperformed the Inv Perp equiv. Make sure you are comparing like for like.

Also, you started in 2001 and didnt really have much of the crash to affect you. So, you have only seen the good times really. So, comparing a higher risk/higher potential fund against funds with lower risk/lower potential would favour the former in periods of good growth.
    If I can, why hasn't my IFA recommended this - he changed the SL funds to give a better return, so he is 'paying attention' to what's going on in it.

Have you asked him that? It may be that he doesnt feel you have enough in there to warrent a change. It may the reasons above. Communication between adviser and client is two way if you want to get the most from it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Options
    thank you dunstonh - no, I haven't asked him because he's done OK by me in other matters. It was only that the Invesco made 29% return last year, whilst the SL made (more or less) zilch% - I am trying to compare what's happening now (last year anyway), rather than in the past. Only wanted a 'second opinion' first, if you see what I mean.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What are the Inv Perp fund(s) you have and what are the SL fund(s)?

Last year Japan, US and Fixed Interest did poorly. UK, Europe and Far East did well. This year could be a complete reverse and next year something different again. This is why you should diversify and that is probably what the case is here.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Options
    Actually, dunstonh, your response has made me realise that on balance he probably has considered things. We have our annual conversation in May, so I will mention my query to him then.
  • Sillychuckie
    Options
    Dont forget that dumping all your eggs into the 1 basket is bound to increase the risk of your total investment.
    Perhaps the IFA is simply just trying to mitigate some of that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure