New Verified By Visa Problems

Options
Just wondered if anyone has experienced problems with the new verified by visa security...

Over the last couple of weeks my VBV orders have been going through without asking for my password. I thought there were problems to do with the sites that I was using but didn't worry as my orders were still going through.

The thing is, when I use my card on lottery or next (sites that I regularly purchase on) my payment goes through no problem... but there have been other times when I've tried to order on new sites and my payment didn't go through. They'd come back declined when I knew I have money in the bank.

I called the bank and they explained the new VBV service to me. Seems like a good idea, no more passwords but only if the payments were actually going through. I explained when my card worked and when it didn't, they advised me to try again so I did. The payments that came back declined now worked. Great!

Just yesterday I tried to purchase my weekly lotto tickets but my payment came back declined. I was at my partners house so I was using a different computer, not sure if this made a difference but what is up with this? I'm going to call the bank tomorrow to see if they are able to switch back to the old service. I would rather enter my password and have all my payments go through.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 31 October 2011 at 1:32AM
    Options
    I'm still being asked for Passwords, but all the banks have different Verified by Visa implementations I believe. Surely not asking for a password though defeats the whole point of VbV, do they ask for any other information?
  • tagq2
    tagq2 Posts: 382 Forumite
    Options
    I've always understood the purpose of VbV to be to give the card provider an excuse to deny a claim that you didn't actually use the card. Resetting the password requires the sort of trivial information many web sites collect: name-as-on-card, DoB, CVV (shouldn't be stored but a cracked site would surely do exactly that).
  • pennylane99
    pennylane99 Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I noticed this yesterday when I made an online debit card payment to my Capital One card.
    Where the VbV box would normally pop up asking for password, it just said processing, and went straight to payment approved.
  • Plxply
    Plxply Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    I believe either the issuer is doing a fraud screening on the transaction, if they feel that it is highly unlikely to be fraudulent they will skip this step as many people find VbV irritating.

I can't find any other reason personally, I've had it myself and there definitely has been a connection to the Arcot servers as normally happens with my HSBC card however the password prompt is skipped.
  • niaomi
    niaomi Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I noticed this yesterday when I made an online debit card payment to my Capital One card.
    Where the VbV box would normally pop up asking for password, it just said processing, and went straight to payment approved.

This is exactly what happens to me. VBV pops up but it says processing without asking for my password. My problem is, is that sometimes it works and sometimes it get denied even when I have the funds.

How are they determining what seems fraudulent? how will they get it right every time? Surely they will deny genuine transactions, am I suppose to call them each time? This is ridiculous. I hope they can change it back for me. I never forget my password, I use it across the internet.

I suppose I will have to see what they say about it.
  • ChiefGrasscutter
    Options
    niaomi wrote: »
    I never forget my password, I use it across the internet.

I really really really really do hope that you are not saying that you use the same single password for everything.........banking/credit cards/internet forums?
  • What is the problem that Verified by Visa has with checking your password? About half of the times when I go through the process of entering my password for a transaction it says it is incorrect, when I know for sure that I have entered it correctly with great care.

I'm going to start using a card that doesn't require me to go through this faulty process as I am sick to death of having this problem so often.:mad:
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yea i never get asked for it now, but Verified by Visa is a total waste of time anyway and i dont see how it makes anything more secure when its an optional system
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bobblebob wrote: »
    Yea i never get asked for it now, but Verified by Visa is a total waste of time anyway and i dont see how it makes anything more secure when its an optional system

It's not always optional but as I always have to reset my password every time I use it then obviously it isn't secure.

Interestingly the passwords I choose myself, which I check how long it takes to crack them are very secure. However verified by visa forces me to use password implementation which means I cannot remember the password.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I meant its optional for businesses to use them. So a dodgy website simply wont use the system.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure