Used items for presents!! Yes or No??

Options
1235»

Comments

• psychopathbabble
    Options
    djdido2 wrote: »
    Obviously I am not going to give them something that is really worn or looks used, shabby, ready for the bin etc. My sons is Wrestling/WWE mad and the prices of this stuff even second hand is mental. I really have adopted the money saving bug and don't want to waste money. Think my son is at an age where he would not realise or be bothered but Daughter is at the Kevin and Perry stroppy stage and would believe it to be (in her words) scruffy to receive second hand presents.

I am rather proud of my kids and they are in no way materialistic but I think sometimes peer pressure around them means they make statements that they don't actually think about before saying.

I don't see a problem with getting things second hand, there are lots of sales on at the moment so always worth a look around... plus remember cashback sites too :D

My friend and her two kids spent about 3 years living on next to nothing, always whoopsied food items, not much for christmas and birthdays and utilities getting cut off, but they have learnt to appreciate the good things in life and have a profound understanding on what it is like to live like that.

All teenagers are snobby about second hand things but I'm sure if it came to it they would rather that than getting nothing at all. They may not appreciate it now but later on they will. :)
    Became Mrs Scotland 16.01.16 :heart:Became homeowners 26.02.16 :heart:Baby girl arrived 27.10.16 :heart:Baby boy arrived 16.09.2018
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Not a problem at all.

I bought my son a second hand play cooker when he was small because he loved them and they are soooo expensive new. I also recall giving him a huge pile of decommissioned library books when he was a toddler (they were going to get dog-eared anyway and I liked the idea they were chosen by people with some knowledge of books rather than a buyer in a toystore who just wants to shift quantity of branded sh!te!) This year we have a funny book of football songs to go in my middle step son's stocking that we found in a charity shop that looks like new. My eldest stepson has chosen branded T-shirts on ebay in the past that he wanted but would have cost a fortune new. I've given my son second-hand x box games before now too.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • make_me_wise
    make_me_wise Posts: 1,509 Forumite
    Options
    I dont think there is any problem with doing that at all. My sil sells all my nephews toys that he has outgrown. She has a table at nearly new sales several times a year. What she sells is in very good condition and she charges half what people would pay if buying new from a shop. I think you are being very sensible and setting them a good example in not going mad at Xmas and getting into needless debt. Times must hey.
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    Options
    Once of my best presents last year was a scruffy second hand book that the person who gave it to me knew I wanted to read, and he also knew I wouldn't value it less for being a little old on the outside. I think it was first printed in the seventeenth century, so the outside was still nowhere near as old as the inside.

One of my friends got given a rocking horse which she stripped down and painted for her children and it was her daughter's best present for that year and many years after.

I'd say go for it.
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    Options
    nzmegs wrote: »
    My daughter has asked for a Kindle for xmas this year. I have pointed out to her that I could buy 160 books from the charity shop (50p each) at the same price. She sees my point. I have always used charity shop finds for xmas. I buy wool and knit it up into gifts, books/toys for the kids. they know that they get twice as many gifts because i am careful about where i find the bargains.

this year I am planning on buying nice china cups and saucers which I will fill with sweets for teachers.

Older people in particular may like to receive things which remind them of their younger days and you can't find that at Argos or Boots.

You could get a reconditioned Kindle, mine looks brand new, and down load lots of free books, such as Sherlock Holmes onto it for her... It's really only the old classics that are cheap to download.
  • yellowcrocus
    Options
    I have bought numerous gifts for my ds (7) from ebay...e.g. wooden railway, scaletrix.

Package them up nicely in a box or lay them out on Christmas morning. Not only does it save cash but its environmentally friendly too!

that said, I don't think I would buy electronics second hand as you never know when you'll need the guarantee.
  • BigTrouble_2
    Options
    I would buy second hand things for my children (i.e. from ebay) if I had to but would not give a used gift to someone else's child.
  • snookey
    snookey Posts: 1,128 Forumite
    Options
    Go for it. I buy lots of second hand goods for my family. This year is more expensive though as my son needs a new computer for his college course.

I buy lots of things off ebay and charity shops. Charity shops do new gifts that have been donated at this time of year. Freecycle is a great place to request items. If relatives are buying gifts this year ask them for something your children have requested. My parents often ask what gifts they can buy.

Id explain to your daughter the need to be frugal this year and maybe tell her how much you can afford to spend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure