Used items for presents!! Yes or No??

Options

Comments

• Comyface
    Comyface Posts: 669 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 October 2011 at 8:25PM
    Options
    I received a second-hand Sindy/Barbie bed when I was about 8. It was even broken before I got it (the headboard had snapped away from the base) and my mum told me to be careful opening it as she'd heard something crack when she was wrapping it (bless her, didn't want to admit it was 2nd hand). I wasn't a bit bothered about receiving a broken bed, it still did the job I wanted it to do and I wasn't a bit bothered when I found out years later that it was second hand out of the local paper.

So, I would say it's fine. Certainly better than getting into debt. :)
    Are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation? :cool:
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know what you mean, OP. I think I would feel a bit guilty getting presents 2nd hand. But on the other hand we all put too much pressure on ourselves at Christmas to buy others gifts we can't always afford.

If the items are 'like new' then it shouldn't really be a problem, and you can always say you're doing your bit for the environment by re-using a perfectly good item someone else doesn't want anymore, rather than going out and buying a brand new one ;)
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Even if the children know about it's teaching a good lesson that you can only spend what you have.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • djdido2
    djdido2 Posts: 3,446 Forumite
    Options
    Obviously I am not going to give them something that is really worn or looks used, shabby, ready for the bin etc. My sons is Wrestling/WWE mad and the prices of this stuff even second hand is mental. I really have adopted the money saving bug and don't want to waste money. Think my son is at an age where he would not realise or be bothered but Daughter is at the Kevin and Perry stroppy stage and would believe it to be (in her words) scruffy to receive second hand presents.

I am rather proud of my kids and they are in no way materialistic but I think sometimes peer pressure around them means they make statements that they don't actually think about before saying.
    I'm not a "SINGLE" mum, I'm a "DOUBLE" mum!:D
  • mrs_marty
    mrs_marty Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    Depending on the item, it is fine I do it every year, it is my saviour a little swap, trade off or second hand. I have 3 wee ones and a step daughter of 17, with SD I have found create a gift hamper style basket and she cannot tell what is new, second hand etc at all my own 8,5,1 no idea at all, so go for it! :)
  • moomoomama27
    moomoomama27 Posts: 3,823 Forumite
    Options
    I think if it's a dvd or Cd or something from amazon, then I would, because alot of the time you cannot tell they have been used. I'm not sure about a toy, it would depend on the condition, if stickers had come off, or bits were missing. I find alot of the time second hand toys can be almost the same price as a good new bargain.
  • mrs_marty
    mrs_marty Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add again my best ever gift at Christmas was my massive Sindy house complete with lift, swimming pool and furniture - second hand I had no idea until I was much older, I was just so delighted to get the ultimate gift for my dolls!
  • raven83
    raven83 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yeah my DD1 got a tudor style dolls house for her birthday this year, it is massive and with loads of furniture even real working lights she knew it was used and it didnt bother her at at infact she said when she saw it she felt like the luckiest girl in the world :D
    Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

• Absolutely
    Options
    I think second-hand is perfectly fine. I've bought second-hand toys for all my kids at some point or other.

With regards to packaging/boxes, my children don't expect packaging/shrink-wrap or boxes around any present as I always check it when it arrives, assemble, insert batteries if needed and just wrap the gift up. Then on Christmas and Birthdays it's a matter of ripping off the wrapping paper and you're good to go. No messing around finding screwdrivers and batteries. Believe me, this was a godsend when I ordered 3 Kiddizoom cameras requiring 4xAA batteries each to be screwed into the things!

Don't even get me started on the plastic packaging that Barbie Dolls come in and the almost invisible plastic ties you have to cut through to get the figure out! No way do I do THAT on a Christmas morning!!!

Needs must and all that. Buy wisely and if the kids complain, they are going to have to learn a bit of a life lesson. Peer pressure is a tough one to deal with though. Good luck, x
  • mummyroysof3
    mummyroysof3 Posts: 4,566 Forumite
    Options
    i have bought second hand for mine...littlest petshop springs to mind and happyland
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport