Halifax ISA --> NS&I

Options
Hello All,

With around £6k in my Halifax ISA @ 5.25% and April fast approaching, I'm thinking about moving this to NS&I with their nice 5.8%.

Also, my wife is going to open her first ISA this month.

Any thoughts on this plan please?

If Halifax were to match NS&I, I'd stay with them.

As the sum invested grows though, I'm becoming more of a rate chaser!

Cheers,

Rob

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Unfortunately Rob, the NS & I ISA does not accept transfers in, so unless things change you will have to wait until the new tax year, and make a new deposit using your new year allowance. I am assuming you have already deposited into an ISA this tax year.

Your wife can open an NS & I ISA though, as a new starter, and also add to it in the new tax year.
  • Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Halifax along with several other banks like A&L haven't indicated whether they're going to put rates up following the BoE rate rise. If they don't, Yorkshire BS have indicated they will pass on the rise in full to all none fixed rate savings accounts on 1/2/07 so you could transfer to them.
    Their e-ISA will be paying 5.65% and their 30 day notice ISA will be 5.75% - if A&L don't pass on all or most of the rise that's where mine and Mrs W's will be going.
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Their e-ISA will be paying 5.65% and their 30 day notice ISA will be 5.75% - if A&L don't pass on all or most of the rise that's where mine and Mrs W's will be going.[/QUOTE]

Same here.
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • dparky
    dparky Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Halifax usually raise their rates at the beggining of the new month after the BoE rise.
  • david78
    david78 Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    Options
    Halifax like to put there rates up at a different time to everyone else as they like to make a "song and dance" about how wonderful they are. Lots of posters up in branches etc; singing emplyees on the TV ads. So to give them time to arrange this they wait a few weeks. Expect news at the end of January.
  • robp
    robp Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks All.

Wife has opened her NS&I and now I've done the sums, I suspect my money will go there also (however looking into the YBS now too!).

So many choices!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport