Sweetdaisy's aim to be mortgage-free

Options

Comments

• sweetdaisy
    sweetdaisy Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did my food shop today and had a £10 underspend :), so £5 mortgage overpayment made and £5 put into the mortgage 'pot'.

I've been busy preparing for my interview next week and have been reading so may policies that my head feels like it's about to explode _pale_.

Mortgage payment goes out tomorrow and will be transferring some money between accounts.
  • sweetdaisy
    Options
    Mortgage balance is almost in the £69k’s, hopefully will get there is a few weeks. Had an underspend this week in our weekly petrol and general spending money, so made an overpayment. Divided the money between direct OP and mortgage savings ‘pot’.

Spent £82.50 this week buying DS1 new school uniform, coat, socks and pants - all I have to do now is spend ages sewing name tags into all the clothes :shocked:. I will purchase new school shoes and trainers next week, as well as new clothes for DS2. All this has been funded from the ‘Family/Misc’ savings pot. So glad that I have these handy little savings pots as it stops me from dipping into the Emergency Fund.

I have not made a start on buying Christmas presents yet, but hopefully will start in the next fortnight (as I like to be organised).
  • sweetdaisy
    Options
    Interview is over and done with and I now feel that I can relax :). It is highly unlikely that I have the job, but I done the best that I could. I won't know for a few days, but am just forgetting about it and carrying on as usual.

I now have renewed motivation to clear this mortgage, so as it is unlikely that I will be changing jobs for a long time I need to just make the most of the job that I have. I have had a chat with DH about our (my) MF plans and for the first time his eyes didn't glaze over :rotfl:. I suggested that I increase the amount of money each week from his pay that I pay into the mortgage/mortgage 'pot'. He was fine with this after me saying that we could potentially pay off the mortgage in 6 years (2019).

I am going to put money extra money towards the mortgage and our offset savings starting this week and just see how it goes.

Food shop done today and I was £3 under budget, so put it in the mortgage savings 'pot.

Cashback credit card statement received today and I earned £13.72 cashback last month. Total cashback to be paid in January 2014 is now £100.37.

I now have enough childcare vouchers in my account to pay for DS2's Nursery costs until the end of September and have enough in the Childcare savings 'pot' to cover all other childcare costs until the 1st week of October.
  • sweetdaisy
    Options
    I've been paid early due to the BH, so switched money between the accounts and received extra this month as I had a 'on-call' payment.

£171.77 interest was added to the mortgage yesterday, an increase of £3.92 compared to last month. Due to it being an Offset account, this is an OP of £101.75 towards the mortgage, without having to do anything.

This also shows that 'saving' 50% of my OP's in the mortgage savings 'pot' doesn't make any difference to paying directly, therefore I cleared this 'pot' and made a big overpayment.

:j We have reached another milestone: mortgage balance is now in the £60K's (£69,873) and we have taken another month off the term - due to repay November 2022.

I have now purchased all items for DS1 returning to school and bought DS2 new clothes for Nursery. I hope to start Christmas shopping next week.
  • southerndave
    Options
    Mrs Organised! Glad to see you still plugging away and admiring the military organisation regards the 'end of year' festivities ( I refuse to use the C word yet....!).
  • sweetdaisy
    Options
    Mrs Organised! Glad to see you still plugging away and admiring the military organisation regards the 'end of year' festivities ( I refuse to use the C word yet....!).

Oh, I try to be :rotfl:. I am very organised at work, however at home it is a constant working progress. I am trying hard not to put off jobs that need to be done around the house, but with two little ones it's difficult.

I love it when I sort things out and have a clear out of unwanted items as it makes my mind feel less cluttered :).
  • sweetdaisy
    edited 14 June 2014 at 11:01PM
    Options
    Had a productive day today. Sorted out (another) bag of clothes for recycling, cleared the dead plants from the vegetable patch and finally got round to updating the photo albums and writing on the back of the photos.

Hope everyone has had a good Bank Holiday :).
  • southerndave
    Options
    Back at work too, and I just know the weather will be glorious this week now.....!
  • sweetdaisy
    Options
    As expected I didn't get the job, but I have decided to give job hunting a bit of a break as it seems to be consuming too much of my time. In reality it is better that I try and stay where I am until September 2014 (when DS2 starts full-time school) as my childcare costs would be reduced meaning that I could take a pay cut to be closer to home and it will be easier having both children in school.

On Sunday I started my Christmas :xmassmile shopping. Bought 6 presents online and used TCB to earn extra money. I bought some presents from Amazon and used a £32 gift voucher I received from completing some surveys.

I noticed today that my car exhaust has cracked :(. Will take it to the garage tomorrow to see when it can be replaced. It's typical, just as I save a nice amount in my car savings 'pot' something goes wrong.
  • southerndave
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your job. Good plan though to give it a rest and see what happens, often things drop out the blue. Like your exhaust! D'oh. I suppose that's what the contingency plan is for though, so at least your systems (pots) are working!

Can't believe the advancement of Xmas shopping already.....LOL! I am still saving a bit for fireworks, far more fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure