scart sockets

do all new tvs only have one scart socket ??

I still use a VCR (+ sky box/digi box/dvd player) and need 2 scarts.

Does anyone know of 40-42" tvs with 2 scarts (or is there a way round the problem ?)

Comments

• Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You could just buy a scart extention lead.

Niv
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    "extension" ? what is it a 'splitter', ie two into one ?
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    castle96 wrote: »
    "extension" ? what is it a 'splitter', ie two into one ?

Yes,you can get them from Tesco's for around a tenner;

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.202-9156.aspx?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=GSF_NormalFeed&utm_campaign=GSF_TescoDirect&utm_content=202-9156

Or you could use a SCART to HDMI converter;

http://www.maplin.co.uk/scart-to-hdmi-convertor-1080p-518788

As VCR's & SD DVD's are becoming outdated & HD is the in thing,manufacturers have seen the need to provide more HD interfaces & less SCART/RF facilities.
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    thanks for that

what is the difference between a splitter (below)

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-8055.aspx

and the switcher

do they do the same thing ?
  • It is the direction...

Splitter takes 1 signal and splits into two or more - so if you had a TV and a Projector in the room and wanted to connect both to your Sky box you'd use a splitter

Switch takes multiple signal and allows you to send just one of them out - so if you have your situation of a 1 socket but 2 sources you use a switch.

You also get Matrix units which do the combination of the above in that they allow you to take multiple inputs and output selected ones to multiple outputs.

Saying that, a DVD player should really have HDMI rather than SCART and the sky box can go via the VCR assuming it has a RGB through put and so you would only need 1 scart socket.
  • I always assumed it was just terminology, splitter and switcher being the same thing.

Not all scart switchers are created equal though, many of them break quickly, don't carry RGB, fail to switch properly, ghost, or other problems.

I use this one from amazon and have done for over a year with no complaints.

As for new tv's with 2 scarts, my Toshiba BV series has two scart + 4 HDMI
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    castle 96 - yep, as SCARTS are being used less, manufacturers have started removing them from TVs, but replacing them with generally more useful HDMI sockets. VGA sockets are getting rarer too.
    Why not save yourself a few quid then, and buy a refurbished or second hand TV? I couldn't be bothered with a splitter or switch.
  • I am having serious problems. I have 2 VCR players both of which were fine pre switchover. Downstairs I have Sky+ and new dvd/usb/HD TV but cannot get either VCR to work through - screen shows sort of faded b & w picture, will not record. Lack of scart sockets but have scart "extension" so am familar with use. Have had to take VCR out all together. Upstairs, have new small HD TV which will playback videos but, although will record picture beautifully, will not record sound correctly. Have swopped VCRs around but still no good. Left ??? all over the net - should have come here first I know. Please help a grandma !!!!!!
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    whmf00001 wrote: »
    I am having serious problems. I have 2 VCR players both of which were fine pre switchover. Downstairs I have Sky+ and new dvd/usb/HD TV but cannot get either VCR to work through - screen shows sort of faded b & w picture, will not record. Lack of scart sockets but have scart "extension" so am familar with use. Have had to take VCR out all together. Upstairs, have new small HD TV which will playback videos but, although will record picture beautifully, will not record sound correctly. Have swopped VCRs around but still no good. Left ??? all over the net - should have come here first I know. Please help a grandma !!!!!!

Try going into the Sky set up menu & switching the output from RGB to PAL.I can't have the output set to RGB on mine as it distorts the picture thru the VCR.
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    whmf00001 wrote: »
    I am having serious problems. I have 2 VCR players both of which were fine pre switchover. Downstairs I have Sky+ and new dvd/usb/HD TV but cannot get either VCR to work through - screen shows sort of faded b & w picture, will not record.

Are you trying to record TV broadcasts? The tuners in the VCR will be analogue and are effectively redundant since the switchover. Why do you want to use the VCR to record if you have a Sky+?
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport