Report tax evasion - takeaways

Options
J.Dewsbury
J.Dewsbury Posts: 29 Forumite
edited 27 October 2011 at 2:01PM in Cutting tax
Hi,

I know friend works in two takeaways as driver. and he is telling me how the owners of those takeaways avoiding paying taxes. They just pay the minimum so they wont get caught.

Shall i report them? If yes what information shall i collect before i report them?

Does anyone know if the HMRC will do anything about it? Has anyone reported such report before ?

I know one of the takeaways owner makes over 24000 a month and the owner tells the HMRC he only makes 10000 a year.

Thanks very much for your help and opinions.

Ja

Are all Takeaways do tax evasion 7 votes

Yes
0% 0 votes
No
28% 2 votes
Most of them
57% 4 votes
None
14% 1 vote

Comments

• FTBFun
    FTBFun Posts: 4,273 Forumite
    Options
    HMRC are starting to look at takeways more closely (its come up in a couple of seminars I've been to). Your poll is a bit odd though.
  • J.Dewsbury
    Options
    Do you know what kind of information do i need if i decide to report them. Thanks
  • Nosht
    Nosht Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    Also the risk of his car insurance not covering the extra work undertaken.

N.
    Never be afraid to take a profit. ;)
    Keep breathing. :eek:
    Just because I am surrounded by FOOLS does not make me wise. :j
  • J.Dewsbury
    Options
    My friend just work as driver the shop owner has 3 cars for orders. and he pays all the staff cash in hand.
    Nosht wrote: »
    Also the risk of his car insurance not covering the extra work undertaken.

N.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ahh ..... so the staff need reporting for evading tax too ;)
  • FTBFun
    FTBFun Posts: 4,273 Forumite
    Options
    J.Dewsbury wrote: »
    Do you know what kind of information do i need if i decide to report them. Thanks

Have a look here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/tax-evasion/index.htm
  • ceeforcat
    ceeforcat Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    Options
    I am sure that HMRC still receive its fair quota of anonymous letters and telephone calls - used to be given utmost priority in my day - tax inspectors have targets too!
  • Firefox1975
    Options
    Wont you be comprimising your mates income if they get prosecuted and have to shut down? (not saying what the owner is doing is ok, if its true it obviously isn't!)
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    the fact that your friend is paid cash in hand does not necessarily mean he, or the employer, is evading taxes. There is no law that dictates how salary should be paid, and it was once the norm for employees to be paid in cash, even as recent as the early '90's.

If your friend earns below the NIC threshold of £139 per week there are no deductions to be made from his salary at all.

How exactly do you know the turnover of the business and what is declared to the taxman, hearsay is a dangerous thing.

Report the company if you wish, but be aware that any investigation that leads to a court case could involve you being called as a witness, and HMRC cannot guarantee that you will remain anonymous.

If you wish to continue with this the the details for reporting are here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/tax-evasion/index.htm, or you can call the general helpline on 08453000627 and one of the advisors on the line will take the information from you.

All reports are investigated.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Also, turnover of £24,000 a month does not mean it's all profit. An average take of £800 per day is quite reasonable but the owner has to spend a lot of that on premises, staff and food.

Is the takeaway a good takeaway. Be warned if you report it you might be left with no good takeaway's near you and your friend will be out of a job....all that for a couple hundred in tax.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure