Report tax evasion - takeaways

Options
2»

Comments

• J.Dewsbury
    Options
    My friend works 6 days a week and he earn 60 pound a night.

Well there are three drivers each one of them makes 35 orders a night min order is 7 pound so lets say 10 for each order that make is it 1000 a day without the shop just deliveries.

dori2o wrote: »
    the fact that your friend is paid cash in hand does not necessarily mean he, or the employer, is evading taxes. There is no law that dictates how salary should be paid, and it was once the norm for employees to be paid in cash, even as recent as the early '90's.

If your friend earns below the NIC threshold of £139 per week there are no deductions to be made from his salary at all.

How exactly do you know the turnover of the business and what is declared to the taxman, hearsay is a dangerous thing.

Report the company if you wish, but be aware that any investigation that leads to a court case could involve you being called as a witness, and HMRC cannot guarantee that you will remain anonymous.

If you wish to continue with this the the details for reporting are here , or you can call the general helpline on 08453000627 and one of the advisors on the line will take the information from you.

All reports are investigated.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    J.Dewsbury wrote: »

Well there are three drivers each one of them makes 35 orders a night min order is 7 pound so lets say 10 for each order that make is it 1000 a day without the shop just deliveries.
    What's the rent for the shop and the business rates? Check here --- > http://www.2010.voa.gov.uk/rli/en/basic/find
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

AS you have been told, IF you believe that the business/your friend is in the wrong, then report them. But just be aware that HMRC cannot guarantee anonymity, especially in cases that go the full distance and go to court.

Nobody can tell you what to do, it is entirely your choice.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • J.Dewsbury
    Options
    okay if you take 12000 pound profit a month that make its 120000 a year !!
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    Also, turnover of £24,000 a month does not mean it's all profit. An average take of £800 per day is quite reasonable but the owner has to spend a lot of that on premises, staff and food.

Is the takeaway a good takeaway. Be warned if you report it you might be left with no good takeaway's near you and your friend will be out of a job....all that for a couple hundred in tax.
  • J.Dewsbury
    Options
    But really those type of shops make us pay more tax and they are living like rich because they don't pay just min tax.
    Wont you be comprimising your mates income if they get prosecuted and have to shut down? (not saying what the owner is doing is ok, if its true it obviously isn't!)
  • J.Dewsbury
    Options
    So i would report them will HMRC look into it?
    ceeforcat wrote: »
    I am sure that HMRC still receive its fair quota of anonymous letters and telephone calls - used to be given utmost priority in my day - tax inspectors have targets too!
  • J.Dewsbury
    Options
    But is the staff fault or the owner pay them cash?
    molerat wrote: »
    Ahh ..... so the staff need reporting for evading tax too ;)
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    But is the staff fault or the owner pay them cash?
    So the drivers are self employed. They should be as they would then be responsible for the insurance on the car. As the shop pays £600 a week in cash to the drivers the drivers can then claim a 45p a mile allowance to reduce their own personal tax bill to nothing. Are the drivers registered as self employed with the HMRC?

Really I wouldn't bother the HMRC is not bothered harrassing small business to get a few hundred in tax it's not worth it.
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    okay if you take 12000 pound profit a month that make its 120000 a year !!
    My local takeaway makes nowhere near that on the same turnover. You were close when you said £12,000 per year net profit.
  • J.Dewsbury
    Options
    Yes i have read it few times. Thanks
    FTBFun wrote: »
    Have a look here:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts