PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Countrywide Residential Lettings head office number?

Options
Does anyone know of an regional area/head office contact number for Countrywide Residential Lettings as I have a complaint to make that is getting nowhere with the branch. What happened is rather a long story but I shall try and cover it briefly...

We started on a 6 month assured tenancy in Oct 2008, then in April 2009 this was renewed yearly, until April 2011. In April they increased our renewal fee from £70 to £125 for a further year. I telephoned and was told they had put prices up to cover costs etc so I paid and renewed until April 2012. In May 2011 we recieved a notice of eviction, giving us 8 weeks to leave. I telephoned the office and it transpired that the owner had decided to sell. This is despite taking £125 of us just 4 weeks earlier. I telephoned the Shelter helpline and they told me as I had a termination clause in my contract they could do as they liked. We then found another property and moved address.

We had the usual checkout inspection and a couple of days later I was amazed to recieve a letter from them saying with all the damage (!) to the property we were getting only £20 out of our £575 deposit back! It was clear at that point that they were trying to claim we were being evicted for damage rather than the owner deciding to sell.

We obviously fought the ridiculous deductions from our deposit. My 3 year old had marked one of the walls and part of the carpet so I knew we wouldnt get the full amount back, however £20 was frankly ridiculous. Two days ago we were informed we are getting £405 back :T, so pleased! It also says that they have to give us the still unreturned, non disputed £20. I phoned them yesterday and today to see what is happening with the £20 they owe us and everytime I call the person I need to speak to is "busy" and "will call me back", well they have been going to "call me back" since July and it is now October and I still do not have my £20 back.

I know its not a lot of money but its the principle really, we were good tenants, never late with rent and if we had been behind with what we owed them I am sure we would have had to pay up a lot quicker than 3 months!

So where do I go from here? The person who is always busy at the branch is the manager, so I can't speak to anyone else there. I've looked on the internet and can't find a head office or regional office that could deal with it until I have spoken to the manager of the branch.

They are a member of ARLA but they want me to follow the branch complaint procedure first, although I can't as noone will speak to me there!

Any ideas? Should I just try and submit a claim through ARLA and see what happens or shall I continue trying to get someone to answer me at the branch?

Thanks,
Natalie

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills