Asda price challenge

Options
i went to ada for a change to try and save some money and the next day i put in my details to check the price challenge

it only compared exaclty half of my bill saying it was at least 5 pounds cheaper than the other three supermarkets

fair enough but aht about the half half of my shopping if that came to much more id be out of pocket so how can they justify it-

i wont know now if it was genuinely cheaper or not says it cant compare oranges and bananas amongst other things which i think is ridiculous

any thoughts?
What goes around-comes around

Comments

• A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 October 2011 at 10:32PM
    Options
    I agree. My wife and I are sick and tired of Tesco's price scams so have recently shopped twice at ASDA. On the way out, one of these price comparison leaflets was thrust into my hand and I've just run the numbers - a lengthy business made no easier by having to decode ASDA's obscure reference codes on its receipts.

Surprise, surprise, ASDA claims to be cheaper. But look at all the stuff ASDA doesn't compare on the bill!

It's a meaningless exercise in return for which they hope to snag your email address - if not your actual home address.

As an aside, I wasn't hugely impressed by their prices, either, though it makes a pleasant change to have someone else's own brand stuff instead of Tesco's boring offerings.
  • Raven
    Raven Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I can address both of your posts. :)

The Asda thing works well enough once you've considered a few points. . .

The main one is they have to be able to compare a like for like item and this is an exact like for like . . . say for example a tin of Heinz Beanz, thats an easy one.:)

A more tricky example (one that didn't work for me this week was loose Garlic Bulbs) it came up as N/A on my receipt but I new they were cheaper than Te$co - turned out I had bought loose Organic which was a lot more expensive . . . so my fault, I got it wrong and their system didn't.

Another issue is pack size te$co could be 415gm for a tin or packet and A$da could be 400g - again this wouldn't compare. :(

I'm not saying they are always 100% but in most cases if you do your homework at a website like mysupermarket .com then you will know if its worth buying or avoiding a product.

Last week A had biscuits at £1.69 and T had them on offer at 50p, so I bought 10 pkts and got the difference back (plus10%) because its something we buy every week or so - but instead of having to drive to T especially I was able to use the A guarantee to get them at the offer price (which I only knew about because of the Mysupermarket website).

So it can work out well if you do a little checking beforehand but its never gonna be 100% because after all, they are only out to fleece us but you can play them (both of them) at their own game with a little planning. :)

Raven.
    I'd like to teach the World to sing in perfect Harmony :grin: :j :D:)
  • Raven
    Raven Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »

It's a meaningless exercise in return for which they hope to snag your email address - if not your actual home address.

This annoys me as well, so if they start spamming the Director General @ bbc.com its their own fault. ;)

:D:D:D
    I'd like to teach the World to sing in perfect Harmony :grin: :j :D:)
  • robbies_gal
    robbies_gal Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    but it was half of my shopping and you cant tell me they cant copare oranges and bananas?

i dont think half a 90 pound bill is good enough to call it a price challenge
    What goes around-comes around
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I take Raven's points but I must say, the miserable fiver off as an 'inducement' didn't impress me, either.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    gabbyevs wrote: »
    but it was half of my shopping and you cant tell me they cant copare oranges and bananas?

i dont think half a 90 pound bill is good enough to call it a price challenge

Were your oranges and bananas sold by weight or number? Fairtrade or not? Where were they grown etc?
    Unless all factors are the same they cannot make a like for like comparison.

The Sainsburys price checker does not compare own brand goods as they say you cannot compare like for like although that doesn't seem to matter when they compare prices in store for their own brand stuff.
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    Why don't all the spermarkets just charge less for their goods? Cheaper prices = more customers.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• chrissieT
    Options
    I live in a moderately sized town containing an Asda,Morrison & Tesco Extra (all in close proximity) and it's obvious they are all in the price plan with each other, as one puts the price down the other two traders items mysteriously disappear from the shelves therefore unavailable. you can compare but can't buy it .Mmmmmm! Thank goodness we have an Aldi their business is booming.
  • Kirsty_L
    Kirsty_L Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    they dont compare own brand products but tbh if u do your home work n shop around for own brands for whos is cheaper then you would have the problem of loosing out, i personaly get all my freezer stuff from farmfoods and everything else from asda as i find that saves me the best with the price checker on top.
  • alexlyne
    alexlyne Posts: 740 Forumite
    Options
    lilac_lady wrote: »
    Why don't all the spermarkets just charge less for their goods? Cheaper prices = more customers.

some of us have premium sperm that we wouldn't just reduce the price of in order to attract more customers. :rotfl:

All gimmicks by all supermarkets are just there to ensure that you go there again next time - your repeat custom is far more valuable than even a few quid they may lose out by from people 'playing the game'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure