What is Ardrossan/Saltcoats like to live in ?

We've been thinking about moving back up to Scotland to be closer to family and have been having a look at places in Glasgow/Paisley/East Kilbride etc. I was wondering though about thinking a bit further afield as well. I remember often going to Saltcoats for the day when I was wee and always thought it would be lovely to live near the seaside. It's only 43 minutes on the train to Glasgow Central so still definitely commutable.

It seems to have great transport links and quite good facilities still and, of course, a nice beach/views over to Arran. There are plenty cheap flats/houses too. My wife is reg. blind and manages best when things are within walking distance as she can't do buses on her own. But that would be ok there, I think ?

So, I was wondering what would you say the pros/cons are of living there ? Would it be a decent enough place for kids (a few years down the line) ?
Debt at worst point = £8100 Debt now = £956

Comments

• OOh this brings back so many memories for me I lived in paisley as a child and my daddy took me to saltcoats most weekends - no idea what its like to live in but would be interested to see you replies,

Andrina
  • The_One_Who
    The_One_Who Posts: 2,418
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 October 2011 at 8:09AM
    Seriously, Saltcoats is one of the most depressing places I have ever been to, and I say that as someone who has to go there regularly. It is a lot more run down than I remember it, and I'm in my early twenties! Ardrossan isn't too bad, but will depend entirely on where you are living. Largs could be a good choice, but more expensive for housing.

If you are wanting a coastal setting that is still within commuting distance, I'd recommend looking a tad further south and looking into places like Troon and Prestwick. You could also look into places like Gourock, although I don't have much experience of Inverclyde.
  • *MF*
    *MF* Posts: 3,113
    Forumite
    Would agree with The One Who - you would find Saltcoats depressing Ardrossan is trying hard to improve, but think anywhere from Ayr through Prestwick, Troon, Irvine (maybe), - all have good rail links to Glasgow, as does Largs.

Good link to assess house prices for all those areas here: http://www.gspc.co.uk/

But don't miss out on some smaller places - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Kilbride - small town, good local shops, and sits on the Largs/Glasgow Rail line. The link will give you more details.

No . I am not an estate agent, lol.
    If many little people, in many little places, do many little things,
    they can change the face of the world.

- African proverb -
  • Oh, West Kilbride looks lovely actually. I've never been there. We might have to go and have a look round next time we're up visiting the family.
    Debt at worst point = £8100 Debt now = £956

• smitchy73
    smitchy73 Posts: 2,558
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi there as someone who lives in Ardrossan I may be slightly more biased than some of the previous posters. I find Ardrossan quite a nice place to live, there are certainly some area's to avoid, Eglinton Road is on the main throughfare, the old 'main road' as there is no a three towns bypass so most traffic goes around, there are some nice house along there and right along the main road, nice bungalows. Up the hill there are some pockets of nice streets too. Most are fairly near bus routes, we have an Asda which can get you most things one would need in fact we do the weekly shopping there, there are a few nice places to eat, takeaways ok, Saltcoats has most big banks and there is the PO at Ardrossan and main office in Saltcoats.
    Ardrossan is definately trying to improve especially around the Harbour area, plenty of flats and townhouses in the area, and I believe there are more planned. There are also some new builds at the top end of Saltcoats too.
    Travelling, train service is good to Glasgow, from Ardrossan, I'm sure you can get two trains an hour to the city, one of which come's from Largs and the other from either Ardrossan Town(princes street) or the Harbour station itself which meets the ferry to Arran. There are also buses to Kilmarnock which go through the three towns, then Kilwinning, Irvine and on to Kilmarnock. I think there is also a bus to Glasgow if you so wish.
    I commute to Glasgow by car and depart around 6.10am and am in my office for 7am.

Also along the south beach area of Ardrossan, you are looking out on to the bay and some views over towards Arran, it's a flat area, and just across the road you have the prom which stretches around to Saltcoats.

Troon etc to the south are lovely area's too, but you really will pay for the property in that area, and Troon and Prestwick aren't as thriving towns as they once were either.

Alot will depend on what you are looking for too. West Kilbride is a lovely village too, has the one train per hour to Glasgow and buses run through the main village and on the main road through Seamill, the village is a bit more hilly too. Up the coast is Fairlie and Largs which has a good prom and loads of seaviews available too and again the hourly(at least) train service to Glasgow, as well as buses to Glasgow, Braehead(shopping centre) and Greenock. Slightly further up the coast is Wemyss Bay and Skelmorlie, Skelmorlie has loads of lovely flats and houses along the main road as well as up in the village(up the hill) and believe me these command much better views of the Clyde than any of the southerly towns and villages.

Other estate agents to check in the area are rightmove.

As for schools, some seem to be better than others, and most have been recently upgraded, I have two kids in school and their school is amazing, full smart boards, use of laptops, good teachers etc. I believe there are a few others that are real good too, secondary schools seem to do quite well too.(Don't want to say too much openly though)

Hope this all helps, anything further, feel free to pm me too.
    Thanks to all the competition posters.
  • The_One_Who
    The_One_Who Posts: 2,418
    Forumite
    edited 13 October 2011 at 4:20PM
    Oh, one thing to bear in mind if planning to travel by train is that whenever there is heavy rain/storms trains will often have to stop at Kilwinning due to the flooding on the line around Saltcoats way. It doesn't happen all the time obviously, but it happens all too often during the winter months.
  • *MF*
    *MF* Posts: 3,113
    Forumite
    Just a suggestion - hope it might help - if you go on to YouTube and search under the place names that have been mentioned or you think of - you will be amazed how many hits you will get, and it will maybe give you a better feel for any of them.

Errrrmmm ... might even warn you about the sharks at Ardrossan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arDUgM3l3fU

J/K! But it's a good example of how much info is out there - without travelling.
    If many little people, in many little places, do many little things,
    they can change the face of the world.

- African proverb -
  • beecher2
    beecher2 Posts: 3,677
    Forumite
    I was brought up in Ayr and worked in Ardrossan and Saltcoats for a while - I'd definitely recommend heading towards Ayr/Prestwick/Troon. In my opinion, the schools are better in South Ayrshire, and it is much less parochial. The shops, pubs, restaurants and cafes are all better too - certainly in Prestwick you'd have just about everything your wife would need within walking distance. North Ayrshire is probably cheaper though so it depends what is available in your price range.
  • smitchy73
    smitchy73 Posts: 2,558
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Oh, one thing to bear in mind if planning to travel by train is that whenever there is heavy rain/storms trains will often have to stop at Kilwinning due to the flooding on the line around Saltcoats way. It doesn't happen all the time obviously, but it happens all too often during the winter months.
    On the other hand, when the rest of the country were walking about like frozen snotters last year, our roads were okay, well the main one's anyway.

All good points on the rest of the thread though.

But like everywhere there are some good parts and bad parts, same with Troon, Prestwick, Irvine etc etc
    Thanks to all the competition posters.
  • Don't do it - Saltcoats is great as a child but as you get older you realise you run down the place is and there are a lot of annoying NEDS which seems to be a recurring theme with a lot of coastal town.

Gourock may be a better option 30 minutes or so to Glasgow on train.

Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport