The International CallChecker discussion thread 2

Options

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Ypaymore wrote: »
    You can avoid VM expensive connection and callcharges by using
    http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php via their 0808 Freephone Number.
    But not their excessive charges for calling 0843/4 and 0871/2/3 numbers.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • bioboybill
    bioboybill Posts: 3,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ypaymore wrote: »
    You can avoid VM expensive connection and callcharges by using
    http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php via their 0808 Freephone Number.
    18185 and Budgetcom are part of the same group.

If you have inclusive landline or mobile minutes you can call a Singapore Mobile at no extra charge via http://www.callsdiscount.com/uk/index.htm geographical access number.
    Cheers, that 0808 number that 18185 offers looks like the answer for us.
  • kalkan23
    Options
    I have just discovered that 0844 calls which are supposed to be charged at 1p per minute actually cost 5p per minute with virgin media so if you are a telewest or NTL customer you will pay 5p per minute instead of 1p. Virgin media tell me that this is because they are a private company and have fixed their rate at 5p pm for all 0844 numbers. BT apparently only charge 1p so I'm thinking of changing provider.
  • Heinz
    edited 16 August 2010 at 10:06PM
    Options
    kalkan23 wrote: »
    Virgin media tell me that this is because they are a private company and have fixed their rate at 5p pm for all 0844 numbers.
    Even that's a lie - they charge 3p/minute for calling numbers for which BT charge ½p/minute.

EDIT 16-8-2010

g22 rate calls (½p/minute from a BT landline) will be 4p/minute from a Virgin cable line from 1-10-2010.

That's an astonishing 8 TIMES the cost!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • audricoleman
    Options
    I want to be able to re-route an incoming uk call to usa - is there a way to do this cheaply?
  • bluedove
    bluedove Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 August 2010 at 2:34PM
    Options
    For people who have mobile phone contracts with inclusive land line minutes, you can you "mo-call", its very cheap for international calls.

For any smart phone user can download the sofware to their mobile and call abroad very cheap also can be used on a fixed line.
    My BB is on virgin cable but i have a BT line just for intl calls via indirect access number.

Now i got the opportunity to disconnect my BT landline and use only my mobile
    Though the vision may not be the true future of man but it can't be completely beyond his control.
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 16 August 2010 at 8:43PM
    Options
    bluedove wrote: »
    For people who have mobile phone contracts with inclusive land line minutes, you can you "mo-call", its very cheap for international calls.

For any smart phone user can download the sofware to their mobile and call abroad very cheap also can be used on a fixed line.
    My BB is on virgin cable but i have a BT line just for intl calls via indirect access number.

Now i got the opportunity to disconnect my BT landline and use only my mobile

You have been able to use your inclusive minutes on a mobile to make intl calls via a geographical access number for yonks. Lots of suppliers offer the facility

EG: http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php

www.localphone.com to name but two.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Even Skype Out does.
  • Heinz
    Options
    Even if I'm wrong about that smell of spam, the MSE CallChecker lists cheaper rates.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    "Search Google for..." if it smells, looks and behaves like SPAM....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure