MSE News: Unemployment reaches 17-year high

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"As unemployment reaches huge levels, the Prime Minister admits the Government has to do more to help the economy ..."

Comments

• harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,635 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Did the coalition not forsee their deep cuts would send unemployment soaring then...............................

Everything DC and Co will say is just weasel words, they're all right Jack and s-d everyone else.
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    So in fact its not as bad as the recession of the 1980's and the early 90's when I had no trouble finding work?
  • flexrider
    flexrider Posts: 745 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2011 at 5:05PM
    Thing is

i beleive it is going was watching the figures and all the news ect, is that it will get worse with any goverment in place as these staticial figures have been snapshotted at a point in time and all figures are not accurate reason i say this is that a fact when any goverment Im not one for scare-mongering but i do beleive it will rise up to over 3 million as the news said before i hathe goverment have no plan in place for growth, As with a few discussions with this few sites i have been involved in like here on MSe

The goverments are aiming at what they beleive at the workshy or lazy or just people who may genuine and placing them on after a Atos interview on JSA after another benefit which i beleive is not helping anyone just a revolving door for the people in that loop or sitution. if you can understand what i wrote great...sorry im just a fast typer and i know my english and point is not up to the oxford elite dictionary or MSE grammar police on here.

Anyway there no plans in place at all there just expecting the Private to get the jobs when sadly there aint not much about either private sector or public jobs are shrinking because of no growth

Gotta love the power's that be, always ten steps forward before the have anything in place that is solid or workable.
    "MSE Money saving challenges..8/12/13 3,500 saved so far :j" p.s if i been helpfully please leave me a thank you but seek official advice at all times from a pro
  • Unemployment never is 2.57 million.I bet its around 8-10 million in real terms if you take into account people such as those who dont sign on because their partner earns too much, disabled people who are perfectly able to work but stay on benefits because of the difficulties getting employment, 16-18 year olds, homeless people who dont sign on,those who cant sign because they have too much money, people living off relatives and doing a few chores for board etc.
    Unemployment needs to be looked at in terms of the economically inactive adults within the country.
  • flexrider
    flexrider Posts: 745 Forumite
    Unemployment never is 2.57 million.I bet its around 8-10 million in real terms if you take into account people such as those who dont sign on because their partner earns too much, disabled people who are perfectly able to work but stay on benefits because of the difficulties getting employment, 16-18 year olds, homeless people who dont sign on,those who cant sign because they have too much money, people living off relatives and doing a few chores for board etc.
    Unemployment needs to be looked at in terms of the economically inactive adults within the country.

I like this and do agree being a employer within my own business but this an revoloving door because many employers do want to to recruit more staff but with more cost from Tax ect, I can see why so many shy away and hire internal or online advertise{never post the work in the Jobcentre} To be fair honest i was reading this afternoon on some other forums such as mum forums who was talking about the same thing about the rules, Let examone what you posted before inactivate adults alot want to go back to work but also want a job where kids are taking care off if there young (Nurserey care ect) so alot of employers are put off form the cost for that and the Goverment's also help hinder people getting into work (Tax credits for example if you work 16 hours a week you can get help if you work additional hour over you lose help)

I know they raised the NMW to 6.00 a hour recently but like i have said it is a revoloing door at present the Goverment needs to show it's cards it has in terms of Growth plans, The plans can attract more business which create jobs sadly they have not done this they prefer to determine the cuts more then growth.
    "MSE Money saving challenges..8/12/13 3,500 saved so far :j" p.s if i been helpfully please leave me a thank you but seek official advice at all times from a pro
  • dave4545454
    dave4545454 Posts: 2,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Unemployment never is 2.57 million.I bet its around 8-10 million in real terms if you take into account people such as those who dont sign on because their partner earns too much, disabled people who are perfectly able to work but stay on benefits because of the difficulties getting employment, 16-18 year olds, homeless people who dont sign on,those who cant sign because they have too much money, people living off relatives and doing a few chores for board etc.

correct, the real unemployment figure is around 9 million and then there's another 8 million part time workers
    Martin has asked me to tell you I'm about to cut the cheese, pull my finger.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Yes, and with Gormless Dave agreeing to introduce the 'AWR', there are going to be a hell of a lot of us temps out of our jobs on Jan 2nd 2012 as we finish our 12 week probationary period and become eligable for the same wages/holidays/bonuses as our direct-employed workmates.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hammyman wrote: »
    So in fact its not as bad as the recession of the 1980's and the early 90's when I had no trouble finding work?

Despite the recession back in the eighties - we still had a manufacturing base, steelworks, shipyards and coalfields - the majority of which are now gone.
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Despite the recession back in the eighties - we still had a manufacturing base, steelworks, shipyards and coalfields - the majority of which are now gone.

yes but other businesses have grown - how many people were employed in "IT" in 1984?
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    hcb42 wrote: »
    yes but other businesses have grown - how many people were employed in "IT" in 1984?

Valid point - but again - IT is a service industry.

The industries I referred to earlier did not require the majority of their workforce to have HI TEC skills - and even where certain skills were required, these large employers would have an annual intake of apprentices.

Germany retained their manufacturing base - and they have the strongest economy in Euorpe - despite the Euro's current woes. Is that a coincidence?

Napoleon was right all along - we are just a nation of shopkeepers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure