Average water rates>?

Options

Comments

• moonfruit1
    Options
    South west water have just taken me to court, regarding my £865 a year bill. just spoken to them on phone to ask them to justify the high bill for a tiny 1 bed flat.

they say the money goes towards keeping the beaches in Devon/ cornwall clean.
  • Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    moonfruit1 wrote: »
    South west water have just taken me to court, regarding my £865 a year bill. just spoken to them on phone to ask them to justify the high bill for a tiny 1 bed flat.

they say the money goes towards keeping the beaches in Devon/ cornwall clean.

Have you thought about a water meter ?
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • Jim_Patt
    Options
    Get this I've fallen on hard times but have been lucky to get a council flat in leeds.
    I live on the 8th floor of a tower block no central heating on my own and my bill is £412.34 for the year!
    Crazy that is twice as much as I paid in a 3 bedroom house down the road with 3 of us there!:(
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Jim_Patt wrote: »
    Get this I've fallen on hard times but have been lucky to get a council flat in leeds.
    I live on the 8th floor of a tower block no central heating on my own and my bill is £412.34 for the year!
    Crazy that is twice as much as I paid in a 3 bedroom house down the road with 3 of us there!:(

Welcome to the forum.

Well as you have given such an exact figure(£412.34) you must be charged on the Rateable Value(RV)

In which case apply for a meter. With Yorkshire Water if you use the average amount(60 cubic metres pa) you will pay around £230 pa.

If a meter cannot be fitted you can elect for the single person assessed charge which is also around £230.
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Now this has got me thinking about if I pay too much.. I live in a one bed flat and pay £43.00 per month, I will need to investigate how to bring this down!
  • grahamgoo
    Options
    Wow - I didn't realise there was such a great range of expenditure on water! I moved into my first house 4 months ago, and just got my first bill (nearly £30 in credit!). I live alone in a 3 bed house which is metered, and am pretty careful with my consumption - don't have baths very often, don't spend ages in the shower etc. It is working out at around £10/month with Anglia Water on their low usage tariff, which actually has the highest charge by volume, but with zero standing charge.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Charges vary by about 250% across the different regions, SWW being by far the most expensive.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • soexpensive
    Options
    I run a small B&B (4 rooms) and there are myself, my husband & our 2 boys living there. The B&B occupancy is 75% over the year and it is our sole income. Our bills are huge and have more than doubled since we started 6 years ago, including our food bills, but we can't put our prices up as no one has any money. Our water bill is £2200 a year!! So is our gas and our elec (may even be more this year). So when you go stay in a B&B or watch 4 in a bed, please remember these costs when paying your room rate :-))) We are metered and on the Isle of Wight.
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I called Thames Water and they are sending someone to my flat to see if I can get a meter, if I can't then they will put me on another tariff which will almost halve my bills!
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    We are on a meter and have been for at least 6 years. Our combined water and sewage bill is £142 per annum(£12p/m). Pretty good I think. We used to pay about £500p/a. Best thing I ever did was to change to a meter. You would have to use an enormous amount of water for a meter to cost more than paying by rateable value.
    Knowing that you are on a meter does tend to concentrate the mind when using a hose or washing the car. (Whatever that is.)
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family