Nepotism

Options
Mr_Falling_Star
Mr_Falling_Star Posts: 2,845 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 10 October 2011 at 7:46PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Can anyone help me or give a opinion?

Four months ago I was TUPE'd over to my new employer who have mostly been pretty good. Counting the time with my old employer I have 16 months of service. Recently a job role as team leader came up which I applied for, sadly I didn't get past the first interview. However one of the women that I work with has got a second interview. That's fine except I have a good deal of experience within the Industry whereas she has none (as far as I know), she is however the interviewing managers daughter in law and indeed there is a photo of her on the managers desk.

Now to be strictly fair Daughter in law has learned all about the new computer systems and along with myself helped set it up but since then I have been managing my caseload and she has struggled.

There have also been other internal and external applications, one from a fellow TUPE member of staff whichgot nowhere and another from somebody I know to be a experienced team leader which went in the bin.

If Daughter in law gets the job would this be a whistleblowing issue?

Thanks
The World come on.....

Comments

• DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options

If Daughter in law gets the job would this be a whistleblowing issue?

Thanks
    No, you should not blow the whistle. Go for sabotage and let her get the job.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whistleblowing to who? Unless its a public sector job then there's no legal requirement for "fair and open compitition". Does it contravine any company policy? Would the managers boss be interested?
  • KME91
    KME91 Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    Whilst unfair nepotism is not illegal, and so the only thing you'd win if you went whistleblowing is a bunch of enemies and possibly your marching orders.
    current debt as at 10/01/11- £1250
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Now to be strictly fair Daughter in law has learned all about the new computer systems and along with myself helped set it up but since then I have been managing my caseload and she has struggled.

Guess who will have to pick up the case load when she gets the job
  • caledonian_princess
    caledonian_princess Posts: 403 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 October 2011 at 12:21AM
    Options
    If you do put in a complaint you can be sure to get nowhere with it unless the interviewers are stupid. Even if a fair and open policy is in place it's too easy to score interviews so that you get the candidates you want; soft skills are the easiest way to do a biased selection because, unless HR swears by a battery of personality tests, it's generally subjective.

I think all you can do is put up and shut up and if you really feel aggrieved start looking for a new job.
    Whatever
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Nepotism is very much alive and it has always been thus. And as frustrating as it is to be passed over for somebody's relation, it's just life.

But it is probably not the only factor - she may actually have access to more industry knowledge/contacts than you know about, she may be struggling with the computer system and be being moved to somewhere her people skills are more effective, for instance. And to replace her they will bring in someone else, perhaps someone who is good with the computer system, as they see they needed more skills on that front. Perhaps in 16 months, they just didn't feel you were ready to take that step up, perhaps you're entirely inappropriate, who can tell?

It's just that there is nothing you can do to make it different, take it on the chin, stand tall, work on. Your time to shine will come!!
  • heretolearn_2
    Options
    It's annoying but there is nothing you can do about it.
    Cash not ash from January 2nd 2011: £2565.:j

OU student: A103 , A215 , A316 all done. Currently A230 all leading to an English Literature degree.

Any advice given is as an individual, not as a representative of my firm.
  • MoneySavingUser
    Options
    Nepotism lives as others have said here.

I went for an interview with a large company once where the interviews were scored.

I know someone who works there so he was able to tell me some things: the person who got the job was the son of a senior managers friend and this senior manager knew what questions would be asked and somehow he managed to give the perfect answer to every one of them and one of the interviewers was directly under this senior manager and she gave some lower scores to some other candidates (which the 2nd interviewer disagreed with) - so it would appear it was engineered for this candidate to get through the process...7

However as others have said you are unlikely to get anywhere with complaining - you can consider looking for other jobs or wait for this person to fail in her new role (as she may if she lacks the skills/experience)
  • dandelionclock30
    Options
    When my friend worked for the Council in her office all the positions that came up were filled with members of the bosses family, I think eventually the whole family worked for Payroll section.There was no point an outsider applying!
    Nepotism is alive and well in all Councils nationwide and in all other companies!
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its difficult to argue that nepotism isn't alive and well. My workplace is also stuffed full of people (obviously excluding me) that are in positions far above their ability & competence. The old phrase "promoted out of trouble" comes to mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure