🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

issues with iva company not sure what to do.

Options
Hi,
My Husband got into debt not sure of the actually figures i just know it was over 20k.
He started a debt management plan and was paying into that for 3 yrs but struggled to to make the payments and it was suggested to him by the company to go into an IVA which he did in 2006, he has been paying over 300 a month to accuma since then.

no problems with payments untill they changed to grant thornton (think it was 2 yrs ago) the direct debits stopped coming out and we had to keep ringing them to make payment and we got behind they said it would be fine and that it would be added on to the end of the iva. Our Family grew and we told them that we couldnt afford the amount we were paying and communictaion on their part is horrendous took months to sort out and in the end we ended up behind on the payments 2 months missed and they sent a letter february last year telling us they were terminating the iva.

By this point i think hubby had had enough so stopped paying altogether and looked into the bankruptcy option. he paid all the fees to go bankrupt but couldnt go any further due to not having the termination certificate.

in october last year he was very ill in hospital and i had to call grant thornton on his behalf to find out what was taking so long they told me it would be issued soon. 2 months later Hubby had to ring again to chase up to be told not to go through bankruptcy and that they would end the iva early (we thought it had already been terminated in the feb????) and taking the funds paid in to the creditors to see if they would settle with that instead and was told they couldnt see a reason why they wouldnt.

finally in march this year we heard back to be told the creditors had rejected. and that they would terminate it and send us certificate so that we can carry on with bankruptcy we are still waiting now. every time we call we get fobbed off feel like we are going round in circles and not sure what to do.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family