Aviva -PPI Successes

Options
Hi

I have recently complained to Welcome with regards to four loans I had with them prior to 2003. I received a letter back from Welcome advising that because it was prior to February 2003 it would not be them responsible.

I found out that Norwich Union (now Aviva) were responsible as the insurer and have since complained to them. I have received a letter with four seperate questionnaires and supplementary questionnaires to complete. The letter then sent advised that once they had receipt of the questionaires they would look into my complaint further but they could not say if it was them who were responsible for this.

I was never made aware of the insurance and upon contacting Welcome recently they advised me that PPI was added to all four of the loans. I have stated this in the questionnaires.

I faxed over all the questionnaires and have received another letter saying thank you for the return and they would look into this and would confirm whether they were responsible or not within the next 15 days. Is this just a delay tactic as the complaint procedure in their eyes hasn't yet begun?:(

I would like to know of any success with Avia and if what easy or hard.

Thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I faxed over all the questionnaires and have received another letter saying thank you for the return and they would look into this and would confirm whether they were responsible or not within the next 15 days. Is this just a delay tactic as the complaint procedure in their eyes hasn't yet begun?

That is not a delaying tactic. It is the standard acknowledgement letter.
    I would like to know of any success with Avia and if what easy or hard.

It would depend on the reasons and validity of your complaint, how it was set up and any proof that may or may not exist to support any accusations you make.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    I understand that Welcome Finance subscribed to the GISC code from 27 February 2003. This means that if the policy was applied for on or after that date Aviva was entitled to accept it in good faith and assume that Welcome Finance had ensured it was suitable.

If it was before that a complaint against Aviva would be on the basis that it was not permitted, under the GISC code, to accept business from Welcome and, had it complied with the code, the loss would not have been suffered.
  • emadie_2
    emadie_2 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you, sorry does that mean that I have a valid claim against Aviva. I was never made aware that PPI was being added to the loan?

Thank you
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    emadie wrote: »
    Thank you, sorry does that mean that I have a valid claim against Aviva. I was never made aware that PPI was being added to the loan?

Aviva didnt add it to your loan, they were not responsible for your loan so your argument is completely flawed. Nor are they responsible for the advice (if any) you were given by Welcome Finance.

I believe people have little or no success complaining to the insurer.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    emadie wrote: »
    Thank you, sorry does that mean that I have a valid claim against Aviva.

Possibly. The complaint is that Aviva breached the GISC Code by accepting business from a firm which did not subscribe to it and you have lost out as a result.

However, the GISC code only came in during 2001 (July I think) so if you took out the loan before then you will not be able to take the matter to FOS.

As Roonaldo says, it is very difficult to make a complaint against the insurer relating to the sale against the insurer stick but this is your best chance.
  • Lovetocook
    Options
    We took out a car loan with Arriva Vauxhall back in 2000. The finance company was Broadwood Finance and we were totally unaware that we had PPI until we wanted to pay off the loan early. The settlement figure was considerably more than we expected and we saw that we had to pay an extra £3000 to settle the outstanding PPI. We contested this at the time but it made no difference. About six months ago we started a claim against Broadwood Finance which ended with the F.O.S who said we had no claim but to try claiming against Aviva. I have just heard from the F.O.S that we have no claim here either because they didn't sell the policy. Is all lost?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lovetocook wrote: »
    About six months ago we started a claim against Broadwood Finance which ended with the F.O.S who said we had no claim but to try claiming against Aviva. I have just heard from the F.O.S that we have no claim here either because they didn't sell the policy. Is all lost?
    Yes, your claim pre-dates the regulation of insurance sellers in 2005 by five years . Claiming against Aviva was always grasping at straws.

Sorry.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The seller has liability. In rare cases, the insurer may do but its very rare and requires a combination of circumstances. If the insurer has no liability and its preregulation then its game over.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Mrs_Mole_1
    Options
    Since Aviva claimed they were not responsible, do you know how to complain to Norwich Union themselves?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thread is from 2011.

Three days to go now...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income