Help card protection charge

Options
I have received a statement today from frasercard from account i requested to close 2years ago for a charge of £70!!! for card protection. I spoke to the company who provides the protection telling them I dont have any cards and no longer live at the address in question( parents home) so wish to cancel this and basically they refused saying i was sent a renewal reminder in November which i obviously did'nt get and as im out of the cancellation phase i have to pay, but she vould downgrade me so I will only have to pay £29,obviously I dont want to pay for a service im not using, what can I do? she gave me an address to write to but said basically they will tell me the same thing.help!!!

Comments

• oldfella
    oldfella Posts: 1,534 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    refuse to pay - speak to the card company - ask them what service they are providing that costs £70 given you cancelled the card 2 years ago

Mike
  • mummyceri
    Options
    well ive just written a letter to basically say why should i pay if i have no cards to cover, therefore they are not providing a service, so i will see where that gets me.thanks for the advice.:confused:
  • zipwen1
    zipwen1 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    we had that to from our fraser card which we had closed we had to pay it becouse the payment protection is from another company, and we were told that when we closed the fraser card we should have canceled the payment protection, get this though we didnt even sign up for it becouse we had payment protection through our bank on all cards that we owned. think we ended up paying £140
  • tom188
    tom188 Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Options
    If it was on a continuous payment authority then the onus is on you to cancel. It is a seperate agreement and the credit card company can do nothing - they are duty bound to pay, unless you speak very nicely....
  • mummyceri
    Options
    I told them that I didnt know about cancelling and that when I opened this account 3 years ago Nothing like that was explained to me, and further more I didnt receive any paperwork to that effect.So do you think that I can complain to Fraser card because theyre instore representative obviously didnt disclose that the payment protection is actually with a separate company or should i pay up???? I dont have the original contract because I shredded everything when I closed the account.
  • mummyceri
    Options
    Shouldnt the fraser card people tell you about cancelling the payment protection when you close the account with them??
  • thesaint
    thesaint Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did they send any information when you cancelled the card? If they did, it was probably on there. Since you shredded everything you will probably never know.

Personally, I wouldn't pay them a penny.
    Well life is harsh, hug me don't reject me.
  • mummyceri
    Options
    not that i remember but if they did im sure i would have realised and cancelled.hsbc sent me a letter when i cancelled and they wrote it in the letter about cancelling card protection and i remember that so i think i would remember if frasercard did? well anyway posted my complaint letter today so see what happens
  • jamalfatty
    Options
    This sounds like a 3yr CPP policy. When this was first taken out, CPP would have sent you the policy documents which stated that it would be charged again on renewal unless cancelled. The credit card company is not at fault here, their hands are tied and they had to honour the payment even though your account is closed.
    There is no point complaining to the CC company as they wont be able to do anything at all, the complaint should go to the card protection company although it is going to be down to there goodwill as they havent actually done anything wrong
  • mummyceri
    Options
    Yes ive sent the complaint to cpp so hopefully they will cancel otherwise im gonna have to pay the £29. I just think they shouldnt automatically renew something like this...circumstances change over that amount of time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure