edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
36 replies 8.6K views

Replies

• mrochestermrochester Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Mobeer wrote: »
    There are phones other than iPhones available - how about including a rival phone make in the tables to show how much an iPhone really costs versus a rival?

Do we really need to resort to coercion to get people to buy another phone, or can we not just leave it up to the individual to decide what they want and what they are willing to pay for it?
  • YolinaYolina Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    mrochester wrote: »
    can we not just leave it up to the individual to decide what they want and what they are willing to pay for it?

Absolutely :) I just find it a bit strange that MSE only puts out iPhone-related stuff in the "official news" but don't seem to bother with other flagship phones when they come out. Not everyone wants the fruity stuff, and people might like to have easy to find price information about other handsets too ;)
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • The iPhone has a huge market share which other 'flagship' phones only equate to a tiny fraction of.
  • edited 8 October 2011 at 8:38AM
    YolinaYolina Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 October 2011 at 8:38AM
    The iPhone has a huge market share which other 'flagship' phones only equate to a tiny fraction of.

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/mobile-devices/2011/05/19/android-shoots-past-iphone-os-in-market-share-40092829/ ;)

and some figures specific to the "EU 5" smartphone market: http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events/Press_Releases/2011/9/Android_Captures_number_2_Ranking_Among_Smartphone_Platforms_in_EU5

edit: that was quick search and I can't really be bothered to spend time digging figures out... I'm also not saying people should/shouldn't buy this phone or that phone but I'd like to see MSE be fairer in their "news" section and provide info about other manufacturers too when relevant :)
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • edited 8 October 2011 at 10:12AM
    digimedigime Forumite
    9 Posts
    edited 8 October 2011 at 10:12AM
    People can buy any phone they like. Just like they can buy any mortgage they like or fly any airline they might fancy. That's up to them but the job of MoneySavingExpert.com is to help save people money.

What's wrong with the near exclusive coverage of iPhone news is that while it may help people find the cheapest iPhone deal the bias also precludes comparisons with other phones that could save even more money.

It also perpetuates the myth that the iPhone is the "must have" phone. This simply isn't true. It will be best for some but others will be better served by Android or Blackberry or Windows Phone 7 - and that's before you start considering hardware issues like screen size, physical keyboards, etc.

The bottom line is that Apple's notoriously high mark-up make the iPhone a very expensive product. It's remiss of MSE to promote this at the exclusion of other phones. It's the equivalent of only ever detailing deals on British Airways and never mentioning or comparing rival airlines.

It's such a let down for such a great site.
  • Why is moneysavingexpert advertising iphones to me?

I was happy with my 6 year old sony ericsson untill now... now i want to waste loads of my money on this iphone because it's shiney and must be great if it's on the news feed! (that's me being sarcastic).
  • If you want an iphone then buy and import one from the US, half the price!!! prices start at $199 / $299 / $399
  • edited 8 October 2011 at 1:22PM
    digimedigime Forumite
    9 Posts
    edited 8 October 2011 at 1:22PM
    If you want an iphone then buy and import one from the US, half the price!!! prices start at $199 / $299 / $399

Nice try but those are prices on contract.

SIM free, unlocked, prices are $649.00, $749.00 and $849.00. Then you'll need to add import duty and a monthly PAYG tariff to suit your needs.
  • edited 8 October 2011 at 1:23PM
    Tony5101Tony5101 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 8 October 2011 at 1:23PM
    Actually - the iPhone 4s prices in the US start from $649 for the 16GB ($749 -32GB and $849 - 64GB) http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone4s?mco=MjU5MTk4NzE
    By the time you buy, pay for shipping and pay import duty, you'll be better off buying in the UK.
  • scottishgirl87scottishgirl87 Forumite
    689 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I've just been chatting with an O2 Guru on O2's website who has told me that the 4S WON'T be available for order online at all on O2 on Friday. It will be sold in store online.

What a load of tosh! Think I'll be switching provider!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals