Making an injury claim against retailer.

Options
Two days ago my girlfriend was shopping at a very well known retailer (massive with over 700 shops nationwide). She was flicking through a fixed shelving display that was placed above some cards that contained cds/dvds/hardback books. Unknown to her, the shelving unit was clearly not fixed properly.

Anyway, the shelving unit completely collapsed and its contents fell several feet onto her foot. Not only painful and dangerous, but it cut open her big toe and also removed the nail. Its now severely bruised, painful and still causing her pain. She's has booked doctors appointment for monday, incase its broken.

The workers in the shop recorded the incident in an accident book and blamed the faulty shelving on a outiside company who fitted it. I'm not happy with this and have obviously taken pictures of my partners injury. I will to take the matter further.

Any advice is welcome.

Comments

• bobajob_1966
    Options
    What are you looking for in 'taking the matter further'? What does your girlfriend wish to do?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wear steel toe boots? :rotfl:

Sorry couldnt resist. Not entirely sure what sort of advice you are looking for, perhaps you can clarify for us?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    The shop manager should be falling over him/herself to shower your girlfriend with gifts/vouchers/apologies
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    lpp1980 wrote: »
    I will to take the matter further.

Any advice is welcome.

It isn't up to you to take the matter further it is entirely up to your girlfriend.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds as if your girlfriend has a good case for compensation, if that's what she wants. There is no great rush though (3 years to pursue a claim) so I would be inclined to wait for the injury to heal before deciding whether to take it further.
  • bobajob_1966
    Options
    geri1965 wrote: »
    It sounds as if your girlfriend has a good case for compensation, if that's what she wants. There is no great rush though (3 years to pursue a claim) so I would be inclined to wait for the injury to heal before deciding whether to take it further.

How have you established negligence from the little info the OP has given?
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    How have you established negligence from the little info the OP has given?

Res Ipsa Loquitur.
  • bobajob_1966
    Options
    geri1965 wrote: »
    Res Ipsa Loquitur.

Does it? A shelf fell off a wall - without actually knowing why it did you cannot establish negligence.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think your first step should be to write to their head office and explain the situation, how she has been injured as a result of poor fixtures & fittings and requires it to be investigated and an explanation of how this was allowed to happen.

With any luck they will get in touch and offer some form of goodwill gesture and make sure your okay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure