Clueless about who to switch to

Hi All,

Could really do with some help please, really don't know anything about internet providers... We need internet & landline

I've just beeen sorting out my bank a/c for this month's direct debits and thought my internet and phone charges seem quite steep? But I'm not sure

I currently pay:

£41.70 to BT for line rental quarterly (£13.90 monthly) + any call charges (£3.79 in the last quarter- we really don't use the house phone but i like having it)

And £16.79 monthly to talktalk (i joined when they were tiscali) which is *i think* only for internet ... unless i'm paying for my phone twice?

We had to activate our phone line (new build flat) and were told we had to pay line rental with BT for a year before taking on line rental deals with other providers, but the year has come and gone a long time ago and I haven't bothered :o

Does anyone have a clue what I should do?

I don't want to call Talktalk if i don't have to yet, sooooo much holding

NB/ quick spanner in the works; we are currently on freeview but if the F1 really does move to Sky then we'll have to get Sky (in case this alters any phone/internet deals etc)

Comments

• Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    i pay the same to bt, but pay £15 to sky for their basic tv (dont use) and their broadband. as their download speed is usually rated 6.4mb/s, its well worth it as there are no service problems.
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • thanks dave - i forgot to say that being in a flat has meant we haven't been able to get sky deals in the past :(
  • and i not paying over the odds then?
  • I checked prices recently for BT / Sky / O2 / Orange and Talk Talk

I live in a Rural area and have to use BT Wholesale as a line provider as there is no LLU at the local exchange and Sky came in cheapest at just under £20 and there Broadband is perfect - Not had an issue. (Sky actual price with non TV I think works out to £22.00) This is a 12 month contract.

I had O2 at the last house and was really impressed with there service - That came to £33.90 a month inc Line Rental - 12 month

BT came in at £31.90 inc Line rental - But had a few issues with there Home hubs in the past (Flicking over to BT Openzone and BTFON networks instead of just saying on the Actual hub). - 18 month

Orange came in at £33.90 as well - No experience with these guys but I believe they now give you a free iTunes film rental once a week and Orange Wednesdays at Cinemas)

BE - Well priced (Basically O2 different brand) and they also offer a bit of an unusual service in which you can purchase 2 lines and double them up at the exchange to in theory give you twice the line speed) the good thing about these guys is that you can have short term contracts (1 month / 6 month and 12 months)

All prices include line rental - Obviously check as they may have changed. Hope that helps in a small way.
  • thanks dave - i forgot to say that being in a flat has meant we haven't been able to get sky deals in the past :(

You can still get Sky Broadband its just a phone line - Sky TV is probably a no go though.

You do not need a TV package to get a sky contact for Broadband and homephone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure